Skip to main content

Medical Brigade

Haven't had time to post because this week I have been quite busy. I have been translating, if you can believe it, for a group of students here from a college in Wisconsin. Their school has what is called J term, and during January, a wide variety of classes are offered, including a lot of different trips you can take. This particular class is offered for biology or geography credit. The group raises money in the US, selling Nicaraguan goods such as pottery or bracelets which are donated, or just asking everyone they know to give to this good cause. Students and professors also solicit their doctors, dentists, churches, etc. for donations of personal care products (toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) as well as any free samples from medical offices. With the money that is raised, and knowledge of what medication has been needed in the past, the professors order medication from MAP based in Amsterdam. This program sells medication for much cheaper than normal, with the condition that it must be used for donation to a third-world country. Each student has their very own enormous bag of medication and such that they are responsible for lugging down here. They also had to purchase scrubs, which they will donate upon leaving.

They were here on the island for a total of 10 days, operating 5 clinics around the Maderas Volcano. This year's group is apparently much larger than normal, 40 students. The students rotated through the clinics, and also had activity days, such as kayaking or climbing the volcano. Each clinic had a doctor who is also brought in. One of them this year lives on the island (Las Pilas), but the others were from other regions of Nicaragua. Finally, they try to provide each group with a translator. The students' tuition money for this class pays for the doctors' and translators' room, board, and pay. I was translating, but for free of course. I did eat breakfast and lunch with them though, so I hope that doesn't count as payment. While there are clinics in these villages all the time, every year during the medical brigade the clinics are flooded with patients because they know the brigade brings a large supply of medication that might not normally be available for free.

The process of translating has been very interesting for me. I was terrified the first day, afraid that I would not be able to successfully translate anything. I was surprised to find out that I could pretty much understand most of what was going on, and could do a good job explaining to them. My experience as a biologist helped, and teaching anatomy and physiology, even at the high school level, was invaluable for being able to piece things together sometimes when the vocabulary was largely technical. I'm not sure I could have done it otherwise. I also learned a lot, about different places on the island that I hadn't visited yet, as well as about medical procedures. I didn't really learn anything new about human biology, and spent a good deal of time explaining certain medical conditions to the undergraduates, such as what exactly epilepsy is, how antibiotic resistance works, and why children here are recommended to take anti-parasite medication every 3-4 months. The procedures were all new to me, since as you all know, I never, ever, wanted to be anything vaguely resembling a doctor. I learned how to take blood pressure, distinguish an asthmatic person by the sound of the lungs, give a shot to the buttocks, diagnose anemia, make sutures, listen for a fetal heartbeat, perform a clinical interview. My first day I also held a flashlight while a doctor performed minor surgery, cutting off a giant mole on a woman's face. It was about a cm from the corner of her eye, and I was so glad I was standing behind her because all the students said the look on my face was completely horrified the whole time. It probably was, but it was definitely a learning experience.

I have also been able to share a lot of information with them. Each day I worked with a new group and each day they had a lot of questions about my experience here in Nicaragua, about Peace Corps, and about what our goal is here. I tried to answer as best I could, with the caveat that of course I am no expert after only 5 months, and that my perspective is still very much one of an outsider. However, they were staying at the biological field station here, which is a very Americanized haven of Nicaragua and not at all like living with a family. The day that I worked in Mérida, I asked my family if I could show the group of 4 students around our house and this was greeted with a chorus of, "I could never live here." Of course they could, which is one of the things Peace Corps teaches you. I have also been very gratified in that they have a hard time believing that 5 months ago I couldn't speak Spanish basically at all. It's nice to get some positive feedback once in a while.

I have sort of looked at this as part of the PR goals of Peace Corps. I'm helping educate Americans about Nicaragua. Part of their class is writing and reflecting on what they see here - how life in Nicaragua compares with the life they know. In order to do that, they need as much information as possible, and that means any experience I have to share is good, as well as making sure they understand what's going on during their clinical experience. It's also helped me get to know more people in the communities and help them get better medical care. I only translated for 5 of the 10 days because I was in the process of preparing for the start of the school year, meeting with my counterparts and brainstorming projects.

Finally, my general impression of them is that they are a really great bunch of mostly future doctors. They have also been really funny and generous, constantly offering me snacks they brought from home with the refrain, "I bet you haven't had this in a while." Usually, it's something like fruit snacks and they are right. In exchange I have been sharing with them all my favorite Nica treats, such as coconut candy and polvorones. A pretty good trade I think. Now I have to get geared up to begin the school year. Teacher meetings start on the 22nd and classes begin the 4th of February.

Seeing a patient.
















Working in the pharmacy.





















I also feel honor bound to report my current frustrating situation, lest ye think everything is always roses. We were supposed to be able to move into our new houses on the 6th of January. I found a house, a landlord, and we worked out a contract. However, the house needs a major letrine renovation and probably a few safety things. It will take probably about 2 weeks to get the letrine built and I also have to ge the electricity hooked up to the house (which the people at Union Fenosa, the electric company, assure me is no big deal). I can't do any of that until someone comes and approves my house for security purposes. First, there was no space on the ferry for the Peace Corps vehicle, then the worldwide Peace Corps director was coming and so they had to prepare security, then the PC Director was here, and now I have to wait some more. I know, this is teaching me patience, and I'm in the Peace Corps so I should just stuff it, but I feel like I would be a big fake if I didn't admit that every day the radio in our house blares at 5:30 AM I don't get a bit more irritated and impatient.

Comments

Briana said…
Wow, Denise, Wow! Hopefully you opened some eyes and I know you helped some people - your A&P background had to help and the fact that you were teaching the Wisconsin pre-meds biology doesn't surprise me. All the medical skills should come in handy for you later in the community. How did the community react to having you there in the clinic. Were you one of them, or one of the outsiders from the states in their minds.

You are doing such amazing things!

hugs,
b
Briana said…
PS my sister Heidi had her baby last Thursday - I'm an Aunt now too. All is well. Her name is Sophia.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so