Skip to main content

Happy New Year! (Jan 1 2008)

2008 is here, and as it swung in at the stroke of midnight I was sleeping like a baby, earplugs blocking the outrageous amount of noise outside as Mérida rang in the new year with much music, fireworks, and general hullabaloo. Unfortunately, I took them out when I woke up for my middle of the night pee, so Ana's watch (set oddly enough for about 4 AM) woke me up, but not her. Having been up quite late the night before, she was sleeping rather soundly at 4 AM. I didn't want to yell at her to wake up and turn it off because no one else in the whole house seemed to hear it either, and I didn't want to wake anyone up. So I snuck outside, and around the side of the house to Ana's window, where I shone the light inside and stage-whispered her name until she got up and turned her watch off. A propitious beginning to my new year!

And no, there was not a fiesta last night. The fiesta was Sunday night. Tropicale, the radio station, was here with its disco movile, and there was a big fiesta. I didn't go to that either, partly because I was really tired, and partly because I didn't want to pay the 50 cords to get in. Apparently, I'm settling into Peace Corps cheapness well.

As to why I was asleep last night, it's because I made bread yesterday. Well, I helped. I thought there wasn't a panadería in town, but I was wrong. There is, and the family agreed to let me come help/learn. Really it all started with these amazing cookies called polvorones. They taste like gingerbread, and they are delicious. It continues to amaze me that while people eat a lot of rice and beans here, perhaps demonstrating a lack of food creativity, they have managed to come up with a wide variety of yummy things that will inevitably make me very fat. Anyway, I asked if I could learn how to make them, and they said sure, but they weren't making them until later, just bread the next day, and having asked to learn that too, I began my lessons yesterday. While the timeline is perhaps a little confusing, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I have finally found a form of exercise, other than yoga, that I don't loathe. You knead and knead and knead, sweat forming on back, brow, and upper lip, but when you're done, you have bread! That seems so much better than running to me.

I also made two empanadas, which are pouches of sugar and a little cheese, but when they're baked, the cheese and the sugar turn into gooey syrupy goodness. I made only two because the family sells these baked goods and my empanadas were a good deal uglier than those of the sisters of the family, whose empanadas had beatifully crimped edges and a decidedly more symmetric shape than mine. I have made up my mind to have an oven though because I really think I could get into baking while I'm here. And I would eat my empanadas, no matter how ugly they were. We made simple white bread, which requires a lot of kneading to get that uniform white-bread texture, but it opens up a whole world of whole wheat breads, etc. I am going back for more lessons, and when they do make polvorones, I'm going to learn that too. Baking bread is something I've always wanted to learn how to do, and finally I'm learning it, and in a place where I can actually use it. While the bread the family makes is delicious, it's the only bread that's available here in town, and after eating wheat bread and yummy grainy breads from EarthFare, white bread just leaves something to be desired. I'm branching out into baking people! Wish me luck!

I also learned how to make meringue icing the Nicaraguan way. They scent it with coconut, and it was all I could do not to dive into the bowl of stuff. Delish.

P.S. I am an idiot who forgot to take my camera to my lesson, but I will take it next time. I will also post a recipe for polvorones once I have it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't forget you promiced to teach me how to make bread when you come home!!! Sounds yummy and nothing better than fresh bread hot from the oven with, well just by itself is best, but a little apple jelly puts the icing on it.
Love Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so