Skip to main content

1 Week to School Update

With one week remaining until the start of classes, I am getting geared up (no pun intended) to go out to all my schools. As part of my preparations, here is a pic of my snazzy new bike.

















Yes, I know, it looks expensive. That's because it was a little more expensive than the standard model. But it was the only kind in the whole place that had a low cross bar. Four different stores and all they had was men's bikes with high cross bars. I can't deal with that. I fall over. I hurt my groin (already did it once on a borrowed bike). I was confused by how the Nicaraguan women do it, but the answer is they either start standing up or with their bike next to a curb, in front of someone's house etc. So I bought the low cross bar since I am much less skilled than they. They also must all have behinds of steel because I rode around for a bit yesterday and today it hurts to sit. The padded seat is not known in these parts and the roads are a mixture of dirt and very large rocks. I am very out of shape due to all the polvorones and such I've been chowing down on during my time of relative ease. I'm thinking I should have bought my bike sooner and practiced riding to get back into shape. After all, one of my schools is 10K away and I can ride a bus with my bike halfway there, but I have to come back the whole way on bike. That might not seem like a lot to some of you, but think of me, and my soft fleshy academic's body that has little balance, little heat tolerance, and absolutely no muscle to speak of. It's going to be a steep adjustment curve. But I will prevail. If there are no more posts after Feb 5 (my first day at that school), you'll know I didn't make it.

This week we have teacher meetings/trainings, and Feb 4 is the first day of classes. I'll keep you posted on any other exciting events.

And finally, here is a picture of me with some of my nieces and nephews in our "couch", which is basically the purpose of a hammock here. They are a wild bunch! From the left to the right is Lucia, Henry, Kati, Fernando, and Ernesto. The gringa is me. Lucia and Kati are sisters and Henry and Ernesto are brothers. We're missing two more brothers of Lucia and Kati. Also, notice my enormous hair.

Comments

Anonymous said…
D,

Wow, that is not what I imagined when you said you bought a bike. Its much nicer than mine. I like the pic. What cute kids!

T

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S