Skip to main content

Hodge Podge

First, some things that don't really scare me, although I feel like maybe they should.

1) Two nights ago there was a small scorpion in my bed. I always shake my bed out before I climb in, not because of fear of critters, but because so much dust blows into my room that if I don't shake it out when I start to get tangled up in my bed, I end up sleeping in a little pile of dust. It was about the size of the last two segments of my middle finger. I squashed it and before I had woken up the next morning the ants had carried it away for a feast.

2) I was editting the guia today and working on the section on volcanoes, and it kind of freaks me out how many times there were sentences that read, "And then this village was completely covered by a landslide." There's never been one here, but it's one of those things I can probably develop a healthy fear of, because you don't know it's coming until it's here. And honestly, if there was a landslide, where would I go?

And now, I received some questions that should be addressed:

How much free time do you have?
Right now, quite a bit. Well, it's not so much free, as unstructured. I am working on organizing English materials for a local informal English school at one of the hotels. They have volunteers who come in every two weeks or so, and it's a good idea, but right now there isn't a lot of continuity. I am also meeting teachers as I can, and editting our environmental education lesson book, also referred to as the guia. I'm also getting to know my community, such as wear to buy fish or who has surplus bananas for sale. This keeps me reasonably busy, but I basically decide when and how often I work on each of these activities. Once school starts, I will be in each of my four schools one day a week, with the 5th day to work on other projects or prepare.

Are you getting paid? How are you going to rent a house?
We get paid a salary based on where in the country we live. Individuals in capital cities get paid more, and central Nicaragua gets paid more than the coast. Island residents also get a little more because it's so expensive here. Right now, I use this money to pay my host family for room and board. When I move, I will use the money to pay my rent and electricity, buy my food, and whatever else I need. We are also provided a settling in allowance that I am going to use to buy my stove and a bike.

Do you have to make reports? How is your progress measured?
Yes, we make reports, every few months with a special report the first time. Each sector has their own measures of success. Our goals and objectives are stated in terms of how many teachers, students, community groups, and community members we reach each quarter. So my reports have information about how many classes I've taught, what co-planning I've done, have I worked with any community groups, etc.

Our first report is a little different, since we will only have been in the schools for a short while. That report asks about community analysis tools we've done, local groups we've identified to work with, what beginning of school meetings we've attended, etc.

And a comment I appreciate:

I know that everything you are doing is in the peace corps mission, be it attending festivals or learning to bake. You are an excellent ambassador for the US.

While I know this person wrote this to me tongue in cheek, I don't even care. I'll take what I can get.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well I am proud of what you're doing!
Peace Corps or not it took a lot of cuts to leave everything you knew behind and travel to a foreign country and start over setting up house and working a new job. I am glad you do have the Peace Corps behind you, but all in all you took a very brave step in doing this. Keep it up kid and remember that there are some of us who mean what we say and don't walk around with our tongues stuck to our cheeks. I may be a bit prejudice, but I think you would be a good ambassador anywhere you went no matter what the circumstances were. Despite everything, you just turned out to be a great person … and that my dear makes me happy! (in answer to your question)
Unknown said…
I have read this entry and found it responsive.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S