Skip to main content

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year.

The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate
Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a Southern author.  I shall aim for level 4, which is 4 books, and will probably pull at least 2 from the Best Southern Literature list at GoodReads, but I haven't picked them yet.



PoC Reading Challenge - Read books by Persons of Color.  Once again, kind of an easy one because I usually end up doing this anyway, but I like the idea of a public declaration that these are good reads.  Also, this forces me to blog about them.  The blog hosting the challenge has a great reading list to pull from.  I haven't pulled yet.  I like the idea of being able to choose stuff as I go. Level 4 is 10-15 books by PoC.



Page to Screen Reading Challenge - Books that have been turned into TV shows or movies.  Level 1 is 5 books, and I think that's my aim, although I might be able to do Level 2, which is 10.




Chunkster Challenge - Now I'm stretching.  To be a Chubby Chunkster (the basic level), you have to read 4 books of 450 pages or more.  I think that's all I can handle.





Gender Identity & Expression Challenge - I'm going for Pink here, which is 5 books that deal positively with gender identity and expression. Not sure why Pink is 5 and Blue is 1, but whatevs.






Haruki Murakami - I have 3 books of his to read just on my shelf, so if I read those alone, that gets me to Sheep Man level.  Done and done.





Global Reading Challenge - I'm super excited about this one.  I'm going for Medium, which is 2 novels from each inhabited continent, plus a "7th continent" which can be anything.  I think I might try books by island authors.

Global Reading Challenge


Foodie's Reading Challenge - Epicurean (7 to 9 books) and they can be anything about FOOD! I'mma kill this one.





War Through the Generations - This year the theme is the Civil War and to Dip, you just need 3-5 with U.S. Civil War as the primary or secondary theme.  I figure this can overlap somewhat with my Southern Lit challenge.






Finally, a couple of overarching ones:
2011 Year of Reading - A different theme each month to spice it up and keep me from getting complacent.





100+ Reading Challenge - 2 books a week?  I can do that!

Comments

Thanks for signing up for my Southern Literature challenge! I hope you enjoy whatever you choose. Good luck with your other challenges as well!
Anna said…
Glad you'll be joining us for the Civil War challenge. I've added you to the participants page on War Through the Generations.
Christina T said…
Thanks for joining the Page to Screen Challenge!

If you have any reviews for January, you can post them here

Good luck with all of these challenges!
tanabata said…
Glad to have you join the Murakami challenge. I'm curious which 3 books of his you have waiting to read. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

Peony by Pearl S. Buck

I read a book today. A whole book. It was pretty wonderful, both the experience and the book. I'm not sure what led me to suddenly decide to read some Pearl S. Buck. I've long looked at her book covers and thought, One day , but for some reason the melancholy that I've always mentally associated with her (for no reason I can cite) fit feeling like death today, so in the waiting room at the Urgent Care I started reading Peony and I read until I was finished, through the brewing of tea and my hot bath which I had hoped would clear my sinuses and did not. I want to start it all over again. I feel like I devoured it so quickly that there are things I missed, conversations I want to have with the book and my thoughts that I didn't give myself time to have.  A few thoughts though, before I lose the thread. There are so many dichotomies in this book, so many choices weighed and options considered. David must choose between the old ways of his people represented by marriage