Skip to main content

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying.

I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons:

1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about some things.

2. The above realization has in turn led me to realize that a lot of the things I thought I was afraid of are, in fact, not the things I was afraid of.  A good friend advised me this evening that this could be a positive thing because it means that if I can identify the real root of my fears, maybe I can address them.  Right, but the reason you cover up stuff like this from yourself is because it's scary and hard to deal with.

I realized that while I'm afraid of other people hurting me and so I push them away, a big part of the sabotage is me trying to save the relationship from myself.  I just know I'm going to screw it up, or create a situation that's just like my family's situation.  They hurt each other so consistently, and if that's the only example I have, how can I help but do the same thing?  What if I can't overcome all the familial programming?  What if I yell at my kids and spouse, and have no patience, and take the people I love for granted, and end up depressed and alone?  So I ruin it before it gets that far.

3. So all this sounds great right?  Figuring out what the problem(s) is / are can only help.  When we made my next appointment, I said, okay, what happens next?  Dr. U and I discussed it, and next time we're supposed to talk about goals - goals for my therapy and goals for myself.  And I have no idea.  I know I want to learn how to be in a relationship that's not like the kind of relationships my family built / builds.  But that gives me an impetus to move and change, not a direction to head in.  I have no idea what me in a functional relationship looks like.  Hell, I don't really know what a functional relationship looks like.  How can I get somewhere if I don't know where I'm going?  And other goals - non-relationship goals?  I'd really like to deprioritize some of this relationship & family stuff and figure out where I'm headed, what I want to be doing with my life.  And that seems pretty gray as well.


I understand that this is a process, and that I'm in a good place really.  I have the luxury of being lost for a while.  I have time to figure this stuff out, and options to explore once I get some direction already.  And the fact that I feel so incredibly lost and adrift means that I'm taking nothing for granted.  There are no assumptions - I'm ready to question everything.  My hope is that I will come through this even stronger, with a better sense of myself, and that that version of me can get out there and get some things done and maybe fall in love along the way.  I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a temporary state, and that no one ever died from the panic of not knowing which end is up.  I will find myself again.

Comments

Jessica said…
As always, you are my hero. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to follow you into therapy as well. For me, I've just always felt like it would be so much (maybe too much?) work to piece things apart and figure things out. I obsess over what we would talk about and end up feeling too tired to even schedule the appointment in the first place. :)

Miss you.
Denise said…
I miss you too. Also, you need a hero who is less nuts.
Briana said…
For your goals - I'd focus on your behaviors - how do you want to be and how will you know when you're doing that? Superwoman therapists aside, you still can't be responsible for the outcome of relationships - only with how you conducted yourself during them. All that being said, all your neuroses on the table, I still have much more respect for how you conduct your life than for 99% of America. I can't even manage to schedule an appointment myself. And you're out there working hard...
CoreyHubbard said…
Denise, this post made me cry, as you talked about so much that I've been working through this year. I think that it is somewhat natural to assume that most people aren't as screw up as you are (by this, I mean the royal you, not you you), so to see my feelings in print was scary and somewhat liberating. I know I'm a little late in making this post, but I hope that you've been successful in making progress with this...it's scary and heartbreaking and affirming all at once. Having also just moved away from Columbia (though not nearly as far), I admire your gumption in your move to VA. Good luck, sweetie!
Denise said…
Thanks Corey. Things have gotten better, and working with my Dr. helped a lot. Moving is a weird thing b/c it gives you a chance to try to put some of these new little tidbits of wisdom into place, but I also feel like it might also tear away all that progress you fought so hard for. Where are you now?
CoreyHubbard said…
I moved to Greenville which is something that I've been contemplating for several years and dating my college sweetheart again (something that I ran from last year when I realized that I didn't know what a healthy adult relationship looked like). Things are going well, and much progress is being made. I am certainly happier here after this summer, but I'll keep you posted as my new job starts tomorrow...

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S