Skip to main content

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet.

The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them. 

And now, a review:

Drunken Donuts
Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were my first Spudnuts and they were delicious. 


Thai Iced Tea
Also served as shots because they are essentially Thai tea infused vodka and evaporated milk.  You can add in water if you want something less potent.  I would highly recommend it, not because the vodka was too strong (the evaporated milk does wonders here), but bc the tea flavor in the vodka itself is so potent.  I'd drink this again, but I don't think it was a big hit overall. 

We fully expected this to be awful bc when Normajean first made it, it tasted a lot like Robitussin.  It turns out the peanut butter on the rim of the glass is the key.  Do yourself a favor and be generous - you really need a little bit in every sip.  Otherwise the sugar content is going to make you vomit long before the alcohol does.  Also, this drink comes with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich garnish!  (This led to the discovery that Natasha is freaked out by sandwiches.  I didn't even know that was a thing.  Is that a thing?)

Laura was afraid this was going to be disgusting.  She could not have been more wrong.  It was delicious.  A nice spicy take on the Bloody Mary with bacon on the rim!, and a tiny grilled cheese sandwich garnish.  These really were amazing.  I want all future Bloody Marys to come this way and all future Bloody Marys in my house will be prepared in this fashion.  Screw celery.  I hate celery.  No more celery!

Jeremy got to buy a creme brulee torch for these. And I had plastic cocktail cups, so uh, yeah, you can imagine how that went.  Well, actually it went better than that. He only melted a hole through one glass.  Laura took a drink and noticed the hole that was luckily on the other side of the glass.  She brought it back into the kitchen, she and Jeremy and I discussed this at length, and then she took another drink.  With the hole not positioned well.  This was a moment of hilarious confusion and without even thinking I just stuck my cupped hand in the stream of deliciousness and caught it.  Then I drank it. 

Note the torching accident.  We like to call this Less is S'mores with a side of carcinogens.

Anyway, back to the drink.  This was amazing.  The glass was rimmed in chocolate syrup and then dipped in smashed up graham crackers.  Then there was torched marshmallow on top, so really, how could you go wrong here?  You can't, that's how.

Bonus Beverage
At this point in the evening, we left Normajean, Laura, and Jeremy alone in the kitchen for too long, and they came up with this:


Why yes, those are hollowed out marshmallows with some kind of alcohol in them.  We were "drinking" these directly off the tray as marshmallows don't actually have much structural integrity as glassware.  Go figure.  However, I think this was totally in the Alie & Georgia spirit.

Beer Float Cocktail
Make these. Drink them, but take a hint from Kestrel and make it with really good beer.  I can't remember what she said this was, but it was so caramely and amazing.  A beer float is a truly spectacular idea. Why doesn't more beer come with ice cream in it?

Nuggetini
This drink has a bad reputation and that is stupid because this was ridiculously delicious.  I mean seriously, probably my favorite drink of the whole night.  It's chocolate milkshake, plus vanilla vodka.  I rebaked the nuggets in the oven, which actually improved them like whoa, and the barbecue sauce rim was amazing.  Seriously, it sounds gross, but it was terrific.  They should start serving these at McDonald's.

 Zombie Gut Punch
So... this was terrible, through no fault of Vijay or Morgan.  This was just too damned sweet and I think it may have been too late in the evening for so much sugar.  Plus, there's no garnish.  Anything with that much sugar needs a garnish.  It should be a requirement.  A valiant attempt at a cocktail, but really, don't drink this.  You won't like it. 

Comments

Worthy Evans said…
Hmm. Garnish for Zombie gut punch. I don't know the ingredients, but it sounds a lot like this Baghdad Brew I tasted/guzzled at a college party celebrating the worthlessness of the American Dream during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Heady times. Anyway, that concoction was a sick green, the result of a special blend of Kool-Aid flavors, combined with fruit, everclear and several other liquors. I remember as I was doing fist-pushups in the rain out in the parking lot, that it could've used a garnish such as raw bacon, raw chicken, peppered and spiced, ready to be grilled. Some kind of decaying meat, perhaps cooked to a falling-off-the-bone consistency.
Laura said…
easily the most unusual cocktail party I've ever attended, and I'm not even talking about the company! Delightful, and now I wish I had saved my sugar intake for the Nuggetini, but by then I was in some sort of sugar shock.
greetings! I stumbled across your blog and must say it is very interesting :) you certainly know how to party...love the crazy mix-up recipes. I thought perhaps you live in Nicaragua but not sure after looking at your blog...anyway, CHEERS!

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S