Skip to main content

The Mermaid Chair - Sue Monk Kidd



Why is chick lit so annoying?  Why are books aimed at women or about women usually about them coming into themselves or of themselves or with themselves or any of these things in the company of other women in such a way that you are immediately supposed to feel a camaraderie with every other woman over how awesome women are?  That's why I don't normally read this stuff.

I think I have a healthy appreciation for female friendships - I'm not very good at making them, so when I have them, I try to treasure them.  And I also have an incredible respect for the self-journey, the one you have to go through to grow up.  However, how hard is it to write a book in which a woman is just a person that stuff happens to?  In books about men, they go on adventures, and at no point in the book does the man stop to think, Am I awakening?  No, because he's awake.  While thinking of his friends, does he stop to ponder, Dude, I am so happy to be here and a part of this awesome brotherhood who help me be the best dude I can be?  Probably not.  He just does stuff, and is stuff, and when things happen to him and he does feel the need to be introspective, he gets to think about things that aren't him.  He gets to think about religion or politics or adventure or bravery or whatever he wants to. He can think about his journey into manhood if he wants, but he's not obligated.  Why is it so hard to write a book or (and perhaps this is the real issue) publish a book about a female protagonist who is not engaged in a quest of self-discovery.  Maybe I'm a lady and I'd like to discover something else.

Needless to say, I did not care for The Mermaid Chair.  I read it because I was surprised by Secret Life of Bees, also by SMK.  I wish I'd just stuck with that one.

The main character Jessie is whiny and generally shitty.  She has some very basic discontent about her life, which she doesn't express to her husband.  Then she goes off to a Carolina sea island (the only part I did like), whereupon she falls in love with a monk, I suspect precisely because of how little risk is potentially involved in falling in love with a monk.  Plus, it's exciting, right?  Then she paints a lot, things that are supposed to be deep and meaningful, but in this way she doesn't understand yet.  Apparently Jessie is not very smart.

All the potentially interesting bits are glossed over.  The book begins with Jessie finding out her mother has purposefully chopped off her finger with a meat cleaver, and yet once Jessie gets to the island, she spends very little time trying to unravel this mystery or even trying to talk to her mother.  We eventually find out what led her mother to do such a crazy thing, and it's dealt with in a couple of pages, spic and span, when really it's the kind of thing you find out and it totally changes your life.

Almost as if to highlight how ridiculous Jessie is, her love interest Whit is struggling with the big questions, like if his life has any meaning and how God works.  In Kidd's world, Whit gets to think about the universe, Jessie only thinks about herself.  On top of everything, Jessie and Whit spend a lot of, ahem, alone time together, and never once do they discuss these big questions of his.  Nope.  She's screwing a monk and she never stops to ask, "So how do you feel about God?"

Finally, Jessie keeps going on and on about finding herself, and wanting to be independent, but she literally falls for Brother Thomas (aka Whit), the day she arrives on the island.  The very day.  Dear Jessie, that is not alone.  I hated that aspect of the story.

I watched Eat, Pray, Love a couple weeks ago.  I was expecting to be annoyed with the movie, but I was completely surprised.  Julia Roberts is the star, and I don't remember her character's name, but it doesn't matter.  Anyway, JR goes on this quest, and first she eats.  She feeds her soul and her body, and sure, she's lonely in Italy.  She struggles with being single in a city of lovers.  You can see how bittersweet it is for her to be surrounded by friends who are all paired up.  But she makes it clear that this is about how to be alone.  Then she prays.  Once again, she struggles, but in a sense, when she stops trying to find herself, and she starts trying to find something larger, that's when just being herself stops being so damned hard.  Finally, there's love.  I wonder how we'd feel about quest parts 1 & 2 if she hadn't ended up with Javier Bardem, but whatever.  My favorite part of the entire movie was when Javier is trying to get her to take this leap of faith with him, and she runs away.  She's talking to her spiritual advisor yogi dude, and she says, "I couldn't keep my balance."  That's real.  She found her independence, her way to live her life without the necessity of a man, and when love came along, she was terrified of losing everything she'd fought for.

Now contrast that with Jessie.  So really it's not hard to see where the plot here falls short.  The only slight redemption is that Kidd acknowledges it at one point.  Hugh (the jilted husband) is a psychiatrist (cliche), and he's in his study and there's this passage:
Over and over he'd come across the same idea - not the least bit unfamiliar to him - that when a person was in need of cataclysmic change, of a whole new center in the personality, for instance, his or her psyche would induce an infatuation, en erotic attachment, an intense falling-in-love. p.279
So at least Kidd understands that Whit isn't meant to be love, he's meant to be a catalyst for Jessie.  But somehow that doesn't make it any better.  Just because this is how people do it doesn't mean it's the best way.  I'd rather see someone fight it out with themselves than be swept along on some current of "love," letting it do the work they're too afraid to do themselves.  

This counts toward the 100+ Challenge and the Southern Challenge.  I guess it also counts toward the Page to Screen, but I have absolutely no intention of watching the made for TV movie, so I'm not counting it there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so