Skip to main content

Between, Georgia - Joshilyn Jackson

★★★★
Loved it.  I read The Girl Who Stopped Swimming and felt kind of meh about it, but this book won a number of awards, so I decided to give Joshilyn Jackson another try.  I'm so glad I did.  The characters in this book are so incredibly real, so real that the whole time I was reading the book, I kept imagining the characters as people I know.  I couldn't help myself.  In one particular instance, it's a bit painful, but more on that later.

Our heroine, Nonny Frett is between things, in about as many ways as you can imagine.  She's not quite divorced, but definitely not single.  She travels back and forth on a regular basis between where she lives in Athens and Between, where her family lives.  She loves Fisher, her great-niece like a mother, but hasn't really stepped up to be like a parent to her.  I identified with Nonny so strongly.  She's so torn between all these different places and things and parts of herself, ideas about who she could be.  All this is brought to a head by the most central division in her life - the fact that she is not a Frett by birth.  Well, she is a Frett by birth, but her momma was a Crabtree.

The Fretts and the Crabtrees have a longstanding feud, in which the Fretts have the money and the law on their side, and the Crabtrees have a meanness and a will to survive.  Hazel Crabtree, Nonny's mother, shows up one night on Bernese Frett's front door, bursting at the belly.  Hazel doesn't want Nonny, but Stacia Frett does and once they see Hazel somewhat safely through childbirth (a handgun is involved), the Frett's decide to steal Nonny.  That's how she becomes a Frett, and the Crabtrees, especially Ona Crabtree (Hazel's mother), won't ever forget it.

That's just the beginning of the cast of characters in Between, and each one is so alive that in the novel none of them ever gets lost in the shuffle.  They're complicated characters, too.  Bernese for example is loyal, stubborn, loving, smart, and fairly treacherous.  She is the Frett most in opposition to Ona Crabtree, even though she's not Nonny's mother; Stacia is.  Let's just say Bernese reminded me of a family member of mine who shall not be named.

Ona reminded me of my mother.  We were poor (are poor), and I'm pretty sure the only reason I didn't have any brothers or cousins in jail was because I didn't have any brothers or boy cousins.  The physical description of Ona was like my mother - thin, scrawny even, and Jackson describes her as grasping, clutching.  She meant it in a bad way, like it was too much for her, but my mom had this way about her, like she was always holding on a little too tight.  I think I'm probably the same way.  So for me, there was something inherently lovable about Ona, even before Nonny realizes that.  In the same way, when she's still got Bernese bathed in a white light, I already felt like she was too much like some of the people from back home.  Too sanctimonious, too proud.

This book that I enjoyed very much counts toward the 100+ Challenge, and the Southern Challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so