Skip to main content

Chronickel

I was telling crazy family stories the other day, and I decided to start putting them up there, randomly, as they occur to me in little bits and pieces.  My sister lived with my parents for a lot longer than I did, so it's highly likely that she knows more info about this stuff.  Because I'm intrigued by the way family stories change as they get passed around, I'm going to post my version, ask my sister for her input, and then add any revisions.  Please accept that many of these stories are things I learned when I was a kid, and so I make no claims to historical accuracy.  Names will occasionally be changed to protect the less than innocent.

So, first story: at some point in my mother's youth, she was engaged to a lion tamer.  I have no idea when this happened, if it was before or after my half-sister, if she really meant to marry the guy or if it was some kind of lark.  They didn't get married, but I don't know why.  The only evidence I have for the truthfulness of this tale is that my mother told me about it, and once showed me a picture of said lion tamer in the ring with his lions, and it had a personal message written on the picture saying he loved her.  He had a handlebar mustache.

Comments

Briana said…
that's too cool - I've never known anyone with a handlebar moustache.
Briana said…
that's too cool - I've never known anyone with a handlebar moustache.
Unknown said…
your right about stories changing. my mom will tell a story about some thing that happend when we were kids. and i remember it diferently. and my brother remembers it diferent than the way i do. so who knows if it ever happend at all. maybe we all had the same dream...lol

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so