Skip to main content

Natural Skin Care a la Denise

A few different people have asked about my new oil cleansing routine, so what I've figured out is below.

I'd read about oil cleansing for a long time, but really could not get down with that because it was terrifying. Then I read this post about honey cleansing, and decided to give it a try along with the oil. Then if one was terrible, I'd at least feel like I was making some changes. 


I bought my honey at Whole Foods and it's raw, organic honey, not crazy expensive. It's pretty solid and I like that because it makes it easier to scoop and put on my face. I just grab a clump and put it on my fingers, get a little warm water and smear it around. I usually leave it on while I make my coffee and then wash it off in the shower. Sometimes I end up just putting it on in the shower if I'm in a super hurry. It turns out that my skin is pretty dry, so while she mentions a half water / half ACV toner, I made some, but don't use it very often. If my skin is dry, I'll use some of my oil mixture as a moisturizer right after I get out of the shower. The woman above is also the one who posted about honey shampoo.

This is the post about oil cleansing I read:

I use a mixture of 2 pts hazelnut oil (astringent): 3 pts hemp oil (antioxidants): 3 pts grapeseed (straight up oily nourishing), put a quarter's worth in my hand and rub it all over. If I have some kind of blemish, I massage the oil on, and then tackle it with my extractor (I know, eww, but that's life, y'all), but the massage and the oil help ease the process and leaves less redness and scarring. Then I heat up my wash cloth, put it on my face and let it cool, then wipe. I don't use a ton of oil, and as I've mentioned, my skin is kind of dry, so usually I just wipe once, and then put on a thin layer of the oil for night moisturizing.  When my skin gets crazy dry, I use some coconut oil. 

For years, I've thought my face was disgusting and oily and I've fought with it. I've used every over the counter chemical you can find to fight acne and the result was dry skin after a shower and oily skin by lunchtime. I switched over Christmas when I was home because I figured if it made my skin crazy, it would already be at a time when I break out from stress. It never happened. I do still have blemishes, but they are nowhere near as bad. The oil cleansing makes them heal faster and the honey leaves me with a light clean feeling without the dryness and tightness. 

I have also been making a real effort to sleep on my back more, which my chiropractor recommended, and I imagine that has also helped some.

So yes, I've consumed the natural body care kool-aid. I'm now trying to figure out if there's a soap alternative, although I already buy the crazy natural saponified coconut oil stuff, so maybe that's not a leap I need to take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peony by Pearl S. Buck

I read a book today. A whole book. It was pretty wonderful, both the experience and the book. I'm not sure what led me to suddenly decide to read some Pearl S. Buck. I've long looked at her book covers and thought, One day , but for some reason the melancholy that I've always mentally associated with her (for no reason I can cite) fit feeling like death today, so in the waiting room at the Urgent Care I started reading Peony and I read until I was finished, through the brewing of tea and my hot bath which I had hoped would clear my sinuses and did not. I want to start it all over again. I feel like I devoured it so quickly that there are things I missed, conversations I want to have with the book and my thoughts that I didn't give myself time to have.  A few thoughts though, before I lose the thread. There are so many dichotomies in this book, so many choices weighed and options considered. David must choose between the old ways of his people represented by marriage

Bored and Brilliant Day 1: Phones in Pockets, Please

Yesterday was the first day of the Bored and Brilliant challenge from WNYC's New Tech City, and the goal was to keep your phone put away (either in pocket or in a bag) during transit, so phones out only at destinations.  Having tracked my phone time for about 3 weeks, I know that my starting point was that I was spending an average of 155 minutes per day on my phone. I don't think Moment counts time when it's playing music or a podcast but I am not looking at the screen.  I use my phone as a Kindle a lot, so I'm not sure how much time I can cut down without losing my reading time, but we'll see.  It also doesn't seem to take into account time I'm making phone calls if the screen is off. So I kept my phone in my pocket.  I forgot once early in the day because it is such a reflex to pull my phone out of my pocket when I have a "blank" moment. It was much easier if I kept it in my bag. Other than that one time, I really enjoyed it. Not looking at

the beautiful sights of Masatepe

9-26-07 Today’s very exciting topic is the plants of Nicaragua . I n the US , I had a Guide to the Flora of South Carolina, and I wish I had a similar book about Nicaragua . Especially now because it’s the rainy season, and everything is in full bloom. Rig ht now, it rains here every day. Some days it is a constant downpour, other days it’s sunny for a long time and then the whole sky falls down in about fifte en minutes. Either way, we are guaranteed rain, and my clothes are guaranteed to take forever to dry. Yesterday, I washed a lot of my laun dry and got very lucky with some serious sun during the earlier part of the day, so my clothes dried in record time. While this may seem like a minor inconvenience, clothes that take 4-plus days to dry (no exaggeration) come out smelling much worse than they did before they we re washed. Here are my clothes hanging in our garden today. We hang clothes there when it’s sunny. This is our lavandero, which is wher