Skip to main content

2021 Reading Challenges

Apparently a blog is forever, since this one is still hanging out there. I could be using it to write about being a traveler, but that's been done and most of my thoughts should remain private anyway (they are *not* flattering). So I'm going to track my 2021 reading challenges instead because that's the only set of goals I'm really setting for myself this year. (2021 goal = have fewer goals.) 


League of Extraordinary Penpals

It's a secret! This challenge is part of a penpal group that I pay to be in, so they don't want people sharing the challenge. I'm going to try to figure out how to review and track these books here without sharing the challenge in ways that aren't okay. 

For now, I'll just say that I'm tackling the Genre-tastic, Book Club, Around the World, Dewey Decimations, and Social Butterfly challenges, not all of which involve reading a book. 

Current point tally 4/5/21: 150

5 Countries

I'm in an Around the World group on Goodreads and last year I really slacked on finding new and exciting international literature. Since I have such a giant TBR pile already of physical books, I'm going to set a very modest goal of 5 books set in other real places. This is also a challenge because I read a lot of fantasy which is set in places that don't exist. Sigh. 

1. Vietnam - Finding the Dragon Lady
2. Ireland - The Guest List
3. Thailand/Seychelles - The Girl in the Mirror
4. 
5. 

The Booker Dozen 2020

The Booker Prize for Fiction longlist is 13 books open to writers anywhere, writing in English, and published in the UK or Ireland. Some of the best books I've ever read have come from these lists. 

1. The New Wilderness - Diane Cook (shortlist)
2. This Mournable Body - Tsitsi Dangarembga (shortlist)
3. Burnt Sugar - Avni Doshi (shortlist)
4. Who They Was - Gabriel Krauze 
5. The Mirror & The Light - Hilary Mantel - I had no idea this was the third book in the trilogy so I have now started at the beginning of the series.
6. Apeirogon - Colum McCann
7. The Shadow King - Maaza Mengiste (shortlist)
8. Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid - READ 
9. Shuggie Bain - Douglas Stuart (winner)
10. Real Life - Brandon Taylor (shortlist)
11. Redhead by the Side of the Road - Anne Tyler
12. Love and Other Thought Experiments - Sophie Ward
13. How Much of These Hills is Gold - C Pam Zhang

Goodreads 60 Books

Any 60 books. That's it. 

1. The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

2. Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid

3. Finding the Dragon Lady: The Mystery of Madame Nhu - Monique Brinson Demery

4. The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

5. Girl A - Abigail Dean

6. The Midnight Library - Matt Haig

7. All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

8. Divergent - Veronica Roth

9. The Girl in the Mirror - Rose Carlyle

10. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

11. Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel

12. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman

13. The Firebrand - Marion Zimmer Bradley

14. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein

15. Redhead by the Side of the Road - Anne Tyler

16. The Guest List - Lucy Foley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

Robo-Uterus

I debated about whether or not to blog about this bc well, it's my lady parts.  But with all the crazy legislation lately about what I can and cannot do with my bits, it seems that it's on the public table, so I mean, why not?  Also, people talk about having babies all the damned time, I can talk about not-baby-having. I had an IUD put in today.  It's not something I'm particularly thrilled about because it's a long-term birth control solution, and I don't want to believe that I need a long-term birth control solution because I'm about to turn 31 and I'm never going to have babies, and oh my god, I think I'm crying a little.  Okay, not really.  Not right now.  But I'm not thrilled is what I'm saying.  I went with Paragard because it's non-hormonal (more on that in a second) and it can be left in for 10 years.  You can have it taken out much sooner, which I hope will be the case for me.  Other non-hormonal birth control options are thin