Skip to main content
Thoughts from last Thursday:

Tonight we set up our Indie Bits game, and I'm consumed by nervous anticipation. I imagine this is not unlike when your firstborn child goes to kindergarten. OK, maybe it's not that serious. But the feelings of, please don't bite anyone, and I hope you make friends translates roughly to please don't break while someone is playing you, and also please no one play this game because What if you don't like it? What if people hate it? What if it doesn't work? What if it's uninteresting? What if the puzzles are too hard? There are so many ways this can go wrong.

These are not feelings I typically experience with the things that I make, as I usually make things just for myself. I've always been more of an engineer then an artist. At middle school art camp, I was competent at various techniques, but I never had any great ideas. We would be set free to our own creative devices with a new method, and I sat there, feeling inadequate. My ideas come not from freedom, but from constraint. I'm not very good at making things interesting or beautiful, but I'm very good at making things that are functional. I think Wray has helped me use my talents to good effect on this particular project. He labeled my contribution "fabrication." That's not a word I would typically use, but it suits.

I enjoy the challenge of creating something according to a certain set of specifications. He has had ideas about how he wants the game cabinet to look, or how the caches should work, and I've been able to realize them. I have had ideas of my own obviously, but many of my ideas have come during the process of making. There is a particular excitement that comes from laying hands on a given material and then understanding what you can do with it. It's strange now to have that feeling be validated by the participation of others, or alternatively, crushed by their disappointment and feedback. It feels like a very grown-up brave thing to do, to put this thing out there and see what people think about it. I'll try to update on Sunday, when we see if anyone actually plays the thing, or even less likely that they finish it, as it is a beast of a thing.

Back to the parent analogy, we sort of made a game in our own image. Wray has an interest in location-based gaming, and I liked the challenge of making an arcade cabinet. We both love geocaching, and I love paper puzzles. But are there others out there who will be willing to invest the time in a game that uses no less than four modalities? Are people willing to drive around town, and do actual internet research about the festival? Did we go in too many directions at once or did we create an uber game, an homage to everything we love about games? I suppose we'll find out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so