Skip to main content

The Dovekeepers - Alice Hoffman



When I saw this book on the shelf of the Edisto Island Bookstore this summer, I was instantly interested in reading this.  

I should admit up front that part of the appeal of this book was that it was fictionalized Jewish history. I love books about Jewish people.  When I said that to Patrick, he looked at me like I was crazy. It does sound exoticizing*, but I feel this way because books about Jews make Jews less exotic, not more.  Growing up in South Carolina, I knew one Jewish person, and I had no idea what it meant to be Jewish.  I certainly never got any history lessons or world culture lessons about Jews.  I did not understand, for instance, that they are a vast and diverse culture spread across the whole planet that is made of many different groups with their own individual cultures.  Even more interesting is that I was raised in a Baptist church and grew up with the stories of the Old Testament, but no one ever told me all those people were Jewish.  I’m not sure that my Sunday school teachers actually know that.  So when I grew up, and read about Jewish history and culture, and met actual Jewish people who practiced their faith, it was the opening of a new and fascinating view on the world.  This is also why I love books written by people who are not American – they write about places I’ve never been and cultures I’ve never experienced, and that is absolutely fascinating.  Right now I’m reading The House of Blue Mangoes, written and set in India.  I love that I know what a lungi is now. 

The reader’s guide at the end of The Dovekeepers details the artifacts and museum exhibits that Hoffman used as inspiration and framework for the book.  I find that ability intriguing – to see a collection of artifacts, to learn a history of a place and event, and then let one’s imagination run wild, conjuring up a story that results in what we know.  It also humanizes history because when we look at history as a collection of events, facts, and dates; we can forget that the players were human just like us, driven by the same kinds of passions, motivations, and flaws that guide us today. 

If I was drawn in by the setting and plot of the novel, then I was securely hooked by Hoffman's writing style and the characters she creates.  Each of the four female narrators is believable and complex.  At times they tend toward being a bit too archetypal for me, and there are times when I think Hoffman could have made more interesting choices in how the characters responded to certain things. But these flaws are easily overlooked as you get drawn into the motivations and actions of each woman, and swept along in their tales.  The weaving together of the women’s stories creates an overlapping narrative that nevertheless manages to convey their unique viewpoints.  

I enjoyed this book a great deal, and my only regret is not being able to read it on the beach where I bought it.  If you enjoy historical fiction and would appreciate the opportunity to read some imagined in a setting you don’t often see in the genre, then I think you’ll like this too.

* I’d like to say a little more about exoticizing.  To me, this means being unable to see the Self in the Other because you imagine that they are so incredibly different than you.  You imbue them with characteristics simply because they are Other.  This is the root of the magical native, the spirit guide, the noble savage; and it’s absolute crap.  Reading books about Jews or Indians and thinking, “Oh, how funnily they have behaved because they are X, Y, or Z” is exoticizing.  Reading with open curiosity about something you don’t know much about, be it content or culture, seems the best way to remove the “exotic” label from almost any topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

Robo-Uterus

I debated about whether or not to blog about this bc well, it's my lady parts.  But with all the crazy legislation lately about what I can and cannot do with my bits, it seems that it's on the public table, so I mean, why not?  Also, people talk about having babies all the damned time, I can talk about not-baby-having. I had an IUD put in today.  It's not something I'm particularly thrilled about because it's a long-term birth control solution, and I don't want to believe that I need a long-term birth control solution because I'm about to turn 31 and I'm never going to have babies, and oh my god, I think I'm crying a little.  Okay, not really.  Not right now.  But I'm not thrilled is what I'm saying.  I went with Paragard because it's non-hormonal (more on that in a second) and it can be left in for 10 years.  You can have it taken out much sooner, which I hope will be the case for me.  Other non-hormonal birth control options are thin