Skip to main content

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami



I'd heard a lot of comparisons between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, so I wanted to see if they were well founded.  Other than the central concept of kids battling it out, it is not particularly similar.  I realize that to say that them having the same central concept yet being totally different sounds ridiculous, but I think they are.

The main act of Battle Royale is the fighting, and while the fighting is important in The Hunger Games, it's used as a way to pull out other issues.  The relationship with the state and the purpose of the games is much clearer in Hunger Games.  I think this makes the violence in Battle Royale more menacing, in that it seems without purpose, but it also makes it seem less important, almost trivial.  This is stupid, kids are killing each other.

There is, perhaps a lesson there, that we need the context of Rue and Katniss's family and relationships made clear to us before we care that kids are killing each other. Somehow it isn't horrifying enough that there's child murder, we need a backstory. Maybe that's the point in Battle Royale - that no one cares until it's their kid that's taken.

Despite this potential lesson, there do seem to be some indications that we should identify with the main characters. Shuya and Noriko have a budding love story, and we come to understand some of Shogo's history - he has been in the Program before, giving him additional insight into what's happening. But really, none of that matters.

The crazy situation, the idea of a world with terrible rules and a metaphor for survival at all costs that goes way beyond metaphor and into psycho-high-schooler, it all makes sense.  I see what Takami is trying to say, but I just don't enjoy reading it.  I felt the same way about Clockwork Orange.  There's a point where the violence is so over the top, where the world becomes so farfetched, that I just can't follow it anymore.  Battle Royale crossed that line on about page 6. I'd recommend it, it just wasn't for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so