Skip to main content

To the White Sea - James Dickey

★★★★
This isn't so much a review as a bunch of the stuff I thought about while reading this. Expect that this year, as I have 100+ books to read, and I'm already behind.

First, I loved this book.  I was completely entranced by the lead character, a GI named Muldrow who gets shot down over Tokyo during World War II.  I've been really into war novels lately, but I hadn't read one of the "trek through enemy territory" variety yet.  Muldrow is a weird guy, a fact established from the very beginning, but I found his reactions throughout the story really fascinating, and while I think they probably were unusual, he didn't seem particularly mad to me.  I mention that word, "mad" in particular, because all the comments on the book cover are about "outland craziness" and "snow, murder, madness, and war."  I'll give you all those descriptors except mad.

Yes, getting shot down in Tokyo and deciding to head North because it's what you know, rather than trying to get yourself rescued is probably strange, but Muldrow's a strange guy.  He is, at heart, a survivalist, and he knows that in the North he'll be able to survive (he grew up in isolated northern Alaska).  Yeah, he kills some people on the way, but then again he is in enemy territory, surrounded by people who would kill him, so if we say he is mad for killing these people, that seems less of an indictment of this character, and more of an indictment of war in general, which I'm fine with.  He also indulges in extended fantasies about Alaska, the land, the snow, the animals and he often pretends to be them in order to take on their attributes such as the stealthiness of the fisher marten or the camouflage capabilities of the hare.  Once again, that seems totemic, and not crazy.

Given all that, I liked that while Muldrow engaged in some odd behavior, at each stage his actions seemed like a logical extension of who he was as a person and the extreme circumstances he was in.  And I'm glad, because it made the book believable.  The ultimate caveat, of course, is that we find out later that he killed some poor girl from Kansas even when he was back in Alaska, and well, there's just no cause for killing good Kansans.

I thought a lot about On the Road while reading this.  The tale of the solitary trek on a road through enemy territory with the idea that at the end there's a promised land of safety is a common storyline.  I see the palatability of setting it as a post-apocalyptic story instead of a war story - the protagonist in a post-apocalypse story is an unabashedly "good" survivor, battling zombies or some other corrupted form of human.  Any taking of "life" that has to happen is okay, and you get to really focus on the inner struggle of said protagonist without any ambiguities as to their value.  Placing the story in a war setting makes the story much less black and white.  The "enemy" is real people, many of whom may seem more noble than our hero.  I like the war story better because it forces you to think, to deal with the fact that real life is gray and complicated.

Finally, I've never read Deliverance, maybe I will for my Southern Lit challenge, but based on this book, James Dickey was an excellent storyteller.  For me, a good story has two key elements - a good plot (good meaning a wide variety of things) and appropriate kinds of detail to sell it.  In To the White Sea, that detail was about Alaska.  In many cases, the descriptions of Alaska and its wildlife were much more vivid than those of Japan, an effect that is meant to echo Muldrow's own experience in which he is, in his mind, in Alaska, his safe place, in order to survive Japan, the hostile place that he's only passing through.  To whatever purpose, the prose made Alaska seem beautiful and wild and I think really captured a feeling of not just what the place was like, but what it was like from the inside.

This counts toward my 100+ Challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so