Skip to main content

Things that go bump in the night.

That was the title of the email I got from The Rumpus today, and it's apropos, as I also had a rough night.  I dreamed about my mom.  Before I went to bed ThisMoiThisMoi posted on Twitter, "Today I turn 27. The same age my mother was when she had me. Now the universe will explode."  I retweeted and responded with, "My mom was 27 when she had me and I was 27 when she died. Somehow the universe didn't explode."

Not because I was trying to be a downer or anything, but because it's true.  It feels like the universe should have exploded when she died, or at least collapsed in on itself, but somehow it didn't.  I also just know what she means.  When my mom died I wasn't a mother or a daughter anymore at the same age when my mother was both.  I felt unmoored and without purpose.

Then last night I dreamt about her, a few times I'm sure because I woke up a lot, but I only remember the first time.  I don't know what was happening, but at the end of the dream we hugged.  I was certain that she was real.  I could feel the soft papery skin of her cheek against mine and the pucker of her lips as she kissed the little hollow where my dimple forms.  I could feel her chin digging into the outer edge of the back of my neck because it always seemed like she was trying to wrap herself around me when she hugged me, protecting me from the world with her body.  I could smell her too.

My mom was depressed for a long time, even though I didn't realize that at the time, and she smoked, and at the end she'd been sick and a lot less mobile.  Her smell was a combination of stale cigarette smoke, her soap, and whatever you conjure up when you imagine dusty sunlight in a sewing room.  She was like a house that hadn't been aired yet for spring, holding tight to all the aromas of winter.  I have no idea how to describe how comforting that smell was, but it was the smell of all my memories.

And in my dream, I knew that it was really happening, that by some miracle I was getting to hug her again.  Then I woke up and it wasn't real, and I cried myself back to sleep.

I wonder if there will come a time when this sort of thing happens, and instead of it making me sad, it feels comforting?  I hope so.

Comments

Jessica said…
I love you Denise. Sometimes your posts like this make me wonder about my own mom. I think she was around 27 when her mom passed away but she never talked about it. I wish you and I didn't live so far away from each other.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so