Skip to main content

Self-loathing Friday

In the grand tradition of narcissistic 20-something bloggers (I've got one more year to use that title, so I'm doing it), I am going to blab about something deeply personal that is frustrating the hell out of me.

Two Fridays ago, I hated myself more than anyone else on the planet.  I had some stuff going on, and it was one of those things where how I was feeling was embarrassing and would have been difficult to explain, but like 90% of my bad days, it was relationship related.  The self-loathing part is when I hate myself for feeling that way.  I hate that I'm so weak as to feel something that would be impossible to say out loud to even my closest friends.  I hate having emotions that, were I to see them in someone else, would make me deeply dislike that person. 

Much like everything else emotionally, I am coming to recognize that these days happen, and they pass, and I just have to wait a little while to feel like myself again.  However, despite the rarity of these days, I find them particularly destructive to the kinds of changes I've been making in my life.  See, self-loathing comes with a whole slew of other negative emotions that are much harder to keep in perspective when you're feeling like something that should be living under a rock.  And I know that people like happy people, and admitting that all this is going on in my head is socially questionable, but I don't think it's that rare, so why not cop to it?

For me, it starts when someone does something crappy to me.  I am developing the healthy fuck you attitude that a very wise ex told me I needed more of, but I'm only at about 70%.  There's this niggling little voice in my head that still says, if you weren't such a wimp, people wouldn't treat you this way.  You let them do it; that's why it keeps happening.  Therefore, you deserve what you get.  That is so destructive because once you start to believe you deserve for people to treat you badly, you lose the self-efficacy to change things.  If that's what you deserve, then standing up for yourself seems futile at best. 

I also wonder where this comes from.  On the days when I'm feeling down, why do I automatically put the blame on myself?  Why not hate the other person?  If I can blame myself for the things other people do, why can't I also accept my own ability to make decisions and change the situation?  Why so one-sided, dear self?

And I know that other people deal with similar issues, whether they call it "self-loathing" or not, because on the days when this little drama is playing out in my head, I often make bad decisions.  I feel sorry for myself.  I feel like I've lost control.  I know lots of people who feel like they're in a bad situation they lack the power to change, who feel like they deserve what's coming to them, whether they do or not.  People who let themselves get walked on because they think they can't expect better.  So this leads me to wonder, what got them to that point? Why are there so many of us who lack such a basic belief in ourselves?

Not to go all Pollyanna, but most of the people I know who act this way are really good people who somehow feel like everyone else knows something they don't.  I don't think that's true.  I think we're all struggling and the days when I feel like that, the only thing that I've figured out helps is to be around my friends.  To see people who see the good in me, who also struggle, and who fuck up just as much as I do.  If these awesome people love me, who am I to doubt them?

Comments

Briana said…
Amen. It's always scarier inside your own head. Trust your friends.
Briana said…
dudette, it's been almost a month - post something! we miss you!

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so