Skip to main content

Well, f*ck.

I just had a conversation with my Dad. Well, we tried. He kept saying, "Six, nine, eight, nine." When I'd say the words back to him, he'd smile and nod, like maybe this time I was getting it. When I said I didn't understand, he'd patiently repeat himself, adding with a questioning look, "Six times nine?"

We played 20 questions, and I successfully concluded that he didn't need anything; that he wasn't talking about my sister, Keegan, or me; that he had not seen a mouse; that he knew it was raining and that that was completely irrelevant. He finally lost patience, good-naturedly waving his left hand at me as he retreated in his wheelchair back inside his room. I think he just wanted to share something with me, some thought spurred by what he was watching on TV.

This is the second time in as many years that I have watched a parent become trapped inside their own bodies, and it's not any easier this time around. With my father, there is hope for improvement, with my mother, we had only the promise of continued decline. Watching my father take the six tortured steps from his wheelchair to the toilet, a thousand different emotions crash over me.

There's guilt, an odd first choice of emotion, but it's there. Any other emotion deemed inappropriate by my desire to be a "good daughter" brings with it guilt. Even greater than that, I feel guilt merely for my ability to stand in front of him unaided, for being able to close the bathroom door, as it is dependent upon my being able to stand up and use my arms simultaneously. My youth and impatience seem to be mocking him. My very help seems somehow cruel.

Pity, fear, love, resentment, respect, sadness, pride, each appears briefly and acutely painful in its own way. I focus on my own feelings because to try to imagine his seems somehow presumptuous. His life is forever altered - how could I possibly hope to understand how he feels? I wish I could ask him. I wish he could tell me.

The worst of it is that I can't wrap my head around the fact that he seems happy so often. He's home, he can feed himself, he can communicate basic needs, he seems in good humor. And I don't understand it at all. Watching him struggle makes me cry. Trying to communicate with him makes me cry. There are no actual tears - to cry in front of him seems cruel, but to smile and congratulate him on his ability to stand without help feels falsely bright.

I'm sure that as time passes, things will settle. I expect the tumult of feelings will not subside, but perhaps their strength will lessen. I have no idea if this is how I'm supposed to feel, but I think I've decided to abandon that entire mindset. There's no "supposed to", there's just all of us, doing the best we can. That will have to do.

Comments

Briana said…
you're in such uncharted territory, I just don't have an idea how to respond. The only idea I can really grab ahold of is that if he seems happy, be glad for that. If he's found peace and contentment, what more could you hope for? I would imagine that no one else will ever actually understand how he feels, but as long as he seems to have reached somewhere good, you just have to go with that. Our thoughts are with you all. But I know we are sympathsizing, but not able to empathize. You are doing the extraordinary, hand onto that even as it seems so mundane.
M and M said…
And it's all you can do. Keep it up. A lot of people are pulling for y'all. Not that that helps, but just so you don't forget.
Denise said…
Thank you guys. It does help.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so