Skip to main content

the stars in the universe

“Just because you’re an atheist, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t love for things to have reasons for why they are.” p. 13 Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I was going to write a post today about reflections on my first semester teaching at MTC, but I guess that will have to wait because other things are weighing on my mind.

I'm sitting alone in my apartment on this blustery, wintry day (I love this weather), and am letting my old demons visit me. I was hoping to put up my Christmas tree today, but the current guardian of my surplus goods was out of town for the weekend, so I have to wait until tomorrow. The roommate is also out of town, and the apartment is warm and quiet.

It's cozy, comfortable, and sadly empty. This always happens to me. These days of freedom and silence always start out well. I feel happy and comfortable, contented in the world I've built for myself. However, the longer I am alone, the heavier the silence becomes until it no longer feels like a warm blanket, but like a weight on my chest.

This used to be a feeling I dreaded, but now I know it's coming before it arrives. I know in the morning when I wake up serene and languorous that it won't last, that a point will come when the happiness will give way to a melancholy that has become just as comfortable. It's comfortable because I imagine that it too will pass, and if it doesn't, there's nothing to be done about it right now. Being alone today doesn't guarantee being alone tomorrow. Being with someone also doesn't guarantee not being alone.

I imagine these emotions are somehow necessary. Being light and happy all the time seems like it might not yield the greatest personal growth, a concept in which I have a consistent, if vague, interest. I think that feeling this way, fully and without reserve or suppression, will help me recognize something different when I find it.

What I want is a day just like today but with another person at the other end of the sofa, a book in hand. The morning of slow ease, followed by an afternoon of minimal melancholy with someone who feels like family.

But not today. Today I have my melancholy and a good book to keep me company. Hello old friend.


Comments

Briana said…
I'm not alone on my couch, but I question frequently if I made the right choices (not in terms of who shares my couch, but in terms of who isn't there as often as I'd like). No rest, no solace, no comfort truly ever for those who really think. For to really think is to always question and therein lies the melancholy. cliche, melodramatic, but that's what I have....you handle it better than 99% so my hat's off to you regardless.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so