Skip to main content

Indulging my American Palate

Andrew says my blog should be about clothes, but I'm going against his wishes, and making this one about food. As with everything else here, there are ups and downs. Now that I am living on my own, I have been taking this opportunity to cook some of the things I have been madly craving since my arrival here. This is also a chance to educate you all about what an Americanized kitchen in Nicaragua looks like.
















This is my kitchen now. I have a wooden table for preparing food, a two burner stove and gas tank, and a place to wash dishes. I currently have a serving platter in place of a cutting board, one knife, a frying pan, and an aluminum pot that I have to pick up with my dish towel when it's hot. I recently sprung for the lovely green Tupperware so that I can preserve my leftovers.

As for food supplies, there is no grocery store here in Mérida. There are 3 pulperias that I go to with regular frequency, and if you'll remember pulperia means small store in someone's house that sells a random assortment of many things. From these pulperias, you can get the stock items, such as flour, oil, sometimes spaghetti noodles, instant soup packets with or without noodles, powdered milk, eggs, Kool-Aid like drink mixes, salt, sugar, bread, and of course rice and red beans. They usually have potatoes, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Sometimes there are also carrots, a couple kinds of Central American squash-type veggies, and fruit, such as pineapple or cantaloupe. They also sell copious quanitities of soda. So that's what I'm working with on a daily basis. In the towns near here, you can also get things like tomato sauce, although it's expensive, olive oil (really expensive), yogurt, Corn Flakes, and oatmeal. There's also a vegetable place in Altagracia where I can buy a wider variety of produce type items, such as cucumbers and black beans. So for about 4 days after I go to Altagracia, I have a lot more variety. After that, veggies won't keep anymore. From Managua, I have stockpiled a small collection of spices, including soy sauce, oregano, rosemary, bay leaves, curry, cumin, and cinnamon. So that's what I have to work with.
















Having said that, this is a picture of my lunch today. Buddhism, the world's greatest vegetarian black bean chili, and some crackers. I also had a gigantic bottle of water and some mandarine oranges for dessert, but we'll address those later. This was my first attempt at chili ever, and I have to say I was very pleased. It has onions, carrots, tomatoes, black beans, garlic, and lots of spices. I didn't have tomato paste, so I used half a packet of tomato soup mix, and that did the trick. I put it in my small allotted space in my old host family's fridge, and it was even better today when I took it for lunch. Delish.
















Here's my French toast, using those crazy hotdog bun things cut in half. Because the butter-like substance you can get here doesn't taste very much like butter, my usual French toast condiment, I went with a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon sugar instead. Credit to Trevor and his mom.

I have also made a very tasty stirfry, using Ramon soup, bell peppers, and soy sauce. I introduced my family to the idea of putting cut cucumbers in water in the fridge to crisp them up. Because stuff's not refrigerated here, and it's all imported from off the island, by the time we get them, they're not crisp. Homemade chunky tomato sauce for pasta, mashed potatoes, an omelet with tomatoes and bell peppers, hash brown style potatoes with rosemary, and cooked oatmeal complete the inventory of this week's culinary forays. That last one might not sound like much, but after I could no longer eat rice and beans three times a day, I started eating oatmeal cold in the morning, sometimes with yogurt if I had it, and sometimes with powdered milk, honey, raisins, and peanuts. Turns out that last concoction is even better with cooked oatmeal. I also feel so much better now. Not just because you there are no rice, beans, or plantain in the above list of foods, but because I'm deciding what to cook. I'm sure I'll start eating rice and beans again, although probably not more than once a day, but I can also tell how much better I feel with my veggie intake increased, even if for the most part it's the same three or four vegetables over and over again.

Now, for the best thing about food in Nicaragua. This place is a fruit paradise. Right now it's citrus season, and all over town there are lemon, lime, orange, and mandarine trees practically dripping with fruit. The mangoes are also coming into season, although these fruit are so soft that if they drop on their own, they're overripe. As a result, kids all over town are constantly throwing rocks up at the trees at the nearly-ripe mangoes in an effort to get them to fall so they can eat them before the ants do. There's also starfruit, which they call melocotón, which confused the heck out of me for a while because that's the word for peach as well, and I kept looking for the peach trees.
















This is my starfruit haul from today, gifted to me by a friend of Ana's. Behind it is my bag of a dozen sweet, juicy mandarine oranges, for which I paid 10 cords, or roughly 50 cents. This was actually more expensive than the bag I bought last week, which only cost 5 cords from a different family. I am gorging myself on citrus and loving it.

In the future, I plan on trying my hand at cooking fish, which is sold by 4 different local fisherman. Fish a little bigger than my hand sell for 2 cords apiece, and they are delicious. I am counting on Trevor showing me how to clean fish when he comes, since every time I've tried to learn from my family they end up having fish when I'm in another town and they clean it without me. I do continue to eat pork and chicken from fritangas and at other people's houses, but I think it will be a while before I branch into cooking meat. My lack of refrigerator and hot water for cleaning make me hesitant to deal with that. I also intend to start trying out some of the Nica veggies.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am very proud of you!
Laura said…
very cool! i'm drooling over your week's menu. is there any way to send you spices/condiments? do they care if those things cross the border?

if not, i'd love to send you some useful ones.
X said…
I've also got some very useful spices that I'd love to share with you. I can send you tomato sauce/paste/etc too, if that's not verboten.

And ye Gods, do you know what I'd do for one of those starfruit right now? YUM!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so