Skip to main content

I am more than halfway through my homestay portion of training, and that’s a little terrifying because I feel like I still have so much to learn, about my service and about Spanish, heaven help me. However, it’s also kind of exciting because I’m getting excited about finding out my site, and getting started with meeting the people in my new community.

If one of the purposes of training is to increase confidence, sometimes I feel like I’m moving forward, and sometimes I’m going backwards. To demonstrate this, I have two examples. Last Thursday we had our youth group meeting in which we needed to select a project and set up a tentative timeline. We succeeded, but it was one of the most frustrating experiences I’ve had here so far. We were all tired from our volunteer visits, and the kids all had great ideas and wanted to express them (simultaneously), and it felt like the situation was just totally out of hand. It’s especially frustrating because in English it would have been easy to manage, but in Spanish it was difficult and demoralizing. (I feel like I write a lot of really positive stuff, and for the sake of honesty I need to talk about the hard times too.) The counter-example is that as part of training we have to design and give a survey with our training group about something environmental. We created a survey about what people do with their trash here in Masatepe. It doesn’t seem like a complicated topic, but it’s a problem here, and it’s important to gather as much information as possible. Today I gave the survey to two people, one of whom I had met before but didn’t really know well, and one to whom I had never said more than “Adios.” It was exhilarating to do it successfully. To be able to talk to a stranger – to ask them questions and actually understand their answers, and to answer their questions about me and about Peace Corps and what I’m doing here. Today I felt like I’m actually getting a little closer to being able to accomplish some of the goals of Peace Corps.

A brief aside about the goals of Peace Corps. If you don’t care, just skip this paragraph. Peace Corps has three goals, and they are (as quoted from my Volunteer handbook):

1. To help the people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women.

2. To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.

3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of all Americans.

I hope that this blog is helping with goal number 3, and my ability to communicate greatly increases the possibility of working toward all three.

Now, I promised an update on the available sites once I found out where they are, and as of Friday we have a list, as well as brief descriptions of the sites. We still won’t find out where we’re going for another few weeks, but that’s okay. I won’t bore you with all the gory details, but here’s some info.

  • There are 4 sites in León (one of which is for a married couple), 3 in Chinandega (one of which is for a married couple), 4 in Matagalpa, 2 in Boaco, 1 in Chontales, and 1 on the island of Ometepe.
  • There are 4 very small sites available, which are attractive to me.
  • In order to think about which sites I might like, I created a list of criteria and then awarded points accordingly. While I’m not going to cry if I don’t get the sites I want (at least I hope), it helped me figure out which ones looked good to me, since there is so much information in each description to consider.

Things that I included on my site selection matrix (yes, I’m a dork):

  • Is it a small site? I feel like a smaller site will allow me to integrate better into the whole community, but I think it will be a lot like my experience at USC. You find a smaller community within the larger one.
  • Will I have a site mate? I don’t think I want one because one of my goals is to speak terrific Spanish by the time I leave. The ability to use English freely with a fellow gringo might impede that.
  • Are there projects there that are interesting to me? This includes any particular environmental issues (such as mangroves), library projects, or the opportunity to work with ecotourism.
  • Is the site in the mountains or on an island? Call me shallow, I don’t care.
  • Will I be a first generation environmental volunteer? There’s something very attractive about forging new relationships with teachers, instead of walking in as someone’s replacement. However, as usual I am stressed about money, and being able to buy a lot of my stuff from another volunteer holds a certain attraction as well.
  • Are their recreational opportunities that interest me? León and Chinandega do have the beach, but I think I would prefer to live somewhere where there is ample opportunity for hiking, and a distinct possibility of riding some horses.

All that being said, ultimately my PC bosses will put me wherever they think I fit best, and the word from last year’s volunteers is that many of them didn’t understand their site placement at first, but now they are all very happy with where they live. Therefore, I choose to put my faith in the process, and I’ll get back to you when I know where I’m headed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so