Skip to main content
First off - Lottie I deleted your comment and I am SO SORRY. I couldn´t read the pop up box in Spanish, but I got your comment and I´m glad to know you´re checking it out.


I’m a bit behind here with the updates, so this blog will be about last Thursday and all the exciting stuff that happened, and in a couple of days, I’ll post about my site visit, which was very interesting and helpful.

So, when I got here, I could talk for maybe about 30 seconds before I couldn’t talk anymore. Last Thursday, I gave a 45 minute charla IN SPANISH. The secret is to have the kids do as much as humanly possible. We talked a little bit about organic and inorganic garbage, and then we played a game with two teams where the kids had to come up to the front of the room and say whether the example I pulled out of the bag was organic or inorganic garbage. It was a lot of fun, and I feel like all of our charlas went really well.

A bit of background. Each of us is currently assigned to a different class at the school. We observed for a week, and then we each did a dinámica with our classes. Well, sort of. Two of our classes weren’t there that day, so we practiced with other random classes, and then another class had their doors open and really wanted to play the game too, so we did it with their class just for the extra practice. Finally, a charla. We chose a topic that would be relatively easy to explain, and an activity that had the kids moving around a lot. We had one charla on Tuesday, and then the other three on Thursday. Mine was the last one on Thursday, and I was very nervous, since the three previous charlas all went really well. Jenny especially had me rattled because she used to be an elementary school teacher and she has that type of animation that kids are just attracted to. Here she is a giant Barbie-esque magnet. The advantage of being last was that we had the routine down, and the three people who weren’t the main teacher helped manage the class and prepare and such, which was a big help.

But back to the method of this madness. The Peace Corps really stresses participatory education, and our purpose in being in the schools in our training sites is to learn from our teachers what’s working for them, and help them learn more participatory educational methods, since most of what happens now is largely didactic. It’s a cross between a teacher training program and a teacher exchange. We have this great Guía that has a lot of lessons, projects, and games that can be adapted to a lot of different subjects, and we are expected to share that guía with the teachers we work with, and eventually work toward a co-planning relationship.

The nature of participatory education makes giving charlas in Spanish both easier and more difficult. Participatory education means that students read all the papelógrafos we prepare (big white sheets of paper), answer lots of questions and get up and participate a lot (big surprise). There’s not a lot of standing at the front of the room explaining information. This is good. However, participatory education means that I need to be able to understand what all the different students answer to all these questions, which can be difficult as each student has their own little version of their language (as you linguists out there know). Before giving the lesson on garbage, we looked up all the words we could think of that the kids could give as common answers, but sometimes a student will still throw you for a loop, and you just have to figure out what to do while you’re in the situation. Participatory education also means the kids are often up and moving around, which requires management skills. This was always something that was difficult for me at the high school level, mostly because I felt ridiculous telling kids who were almost grown that they needed to stop throwing crayons at each other. It’s easier with the younger kids to feel like they need the guidance, but the additional complication is that we need to learn a whole repertoire of classroom management commands in Spanish. Are you sensing a recurring theme? Our current language level is probably our biggest challenge. Spanish makes things harder, but I also keep thinking about what an advantage it will be to come back to the states and be a fluent Spanish speaker with a teacher background. There are a lot of places in the states where that will really come in handy.

As usual there are pictures:





















After teaching all afternoon, we then held our youth group meeting where we gave our first charla on destrezas para la vida, or life skills. This one was about decision making skills, and we split the kids into groups and they had to act out a scenario and decide what steps they would take to make a decision in that situation. Then we talked about the possible steps and which ones were the most important. Once again, as participatory a method as possible. I’ve also mentioned in the past, the two age groups we have present in our youth group. Once again, this worked to our advantage because we were able to assign one older member to each group with two or three younger members. The older kids worked really well with the younger kids. They explained when we couldn’t, and they helped them come up with a skit. It’s like having junior camp counselors around. The older members of the youth group have shown a lot of dedication and have been a real asset. I only hope that over the next two months we can convey to them how crucial their help has been.

Also, on Saturday before we left for our site visits, we went to Catarina, a nearby touristy town, and ate pizza and looked at Laguna de Apoyo, which is a caldera lake. I also bought some earrings and presents from a host family in San Juan de Orienta. In San Juan de Oriente, just about everyone makes pottery, including the national representative of pottery for Nicaragua, Luis Perez (check spelling!!!) lives there. They make this beautiful stuff out of clay (barro in Spanish). Here’s a picture of one of my favorite pots and some pics of Laguna de Apoyo, and there are more posted at Picasa. I’ll try to get some pics of all the furniture stores in Masatepe, as well as some pictures of San Juan de Oriente.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have great taste! I love that vase. Did they have anything in green? But on second thought it doesn't look Keegan proof! Could be why all the snow globes are still packed up, they aren't Keegan proof either. Yours has been added to the safely packed collection too.
Love you, Love the blog and love the chat! Remember… just a few minutes at a time and all will come right.
Briana said…
Denise,

This is just great! I love your blogs! I feel like I'm there (but without the fear of unknown parasites)! Thank you for taking the time to share them with us and the photos. I'm going to encourage Morgan and Lottie to read them regularly and talk about what you're doing and why. It's been really eye-opening for them so far.

love and hugs,
Briana

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S