Skip to main content

Bored and Brilliant Day 2: No Photos!

Day 2 (no photos) wasn't nearly as much of a challenge.

For me, pictures fall into a kind of dichotomous key:
 - photos of me
   A) for the public (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vine)
   B) for my friends (Snapchat, SMS)
 - photos of other stuff
   C) for blogging / professionally
   D) fun things!

Photos of me are a strange topic because I hate them. I have an idea about how I look, and then when I have a photo taken, I always think, "That's how I look?" I have always felt uncomfortable about my appearance and it's been a bit liberating to take more photos of myself and to put them out there. I don't need people to tell me how great I look for comment; it's more about saying, "Yes, I do look like that, and that's okay."  Photos that I take for private functions are less of an issue because I'm so busy these days that I don't really have much time for that kind of social activity.

Not taking photos of other things was actually more difficult. I didn't have anything in my day that I felt like I MUST take photos of. I got some new glasses, and I wanted to show them off, but at some point people will probably see them in an actual photo of me that I take in a place while doing a thing.

The biggest challenge was that I got a Phagia freebie at ASHA this year and I decided to try it yesterday, and I wanted to take and post photos of that process so that people could see what it looked like. Because of the challenge, I didn't take photos of that, and I wish that I had.

One of the things that these challenges are teaching me is to be more considerate about how I use my technology. Do I need to take that photo? Am I sharing information or am I just seeking attention? What is the purpose of what I'm doing? What can I be doing that is more valuable instead?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

Robo-Uterus

I debated about whether or not to blog about this bc well, it's my lady parts.  But with all the crazy legislation lately about what I can and cannot do with my bits, it seems that it's on the public table, so I mean, why not?  Also, people talk about having babies all the damned time, I can talk about not-baby-having. I had an IUD put in today.  It's not something I'm particularly thrilled about because it's a long-term birth control solution, and I don't want to believe that I need a long-term birth control solution because I'm about to turn 31 and I'm never going to have babies, and oh my god, I think I'm crying a little.  Okay, not really.  Not right now.  But I'm not thrilled is what I'm saying.  I went with Paragard because it's non-hormonal (more on that in a second) and it can be left in for 10 years.  You can have it taken out much sooner, which I hope will be the case for me.  Other non-hormonal birth control options are thin