Skip to main content

The lies rape culture teaches us about ourselves are just the worst.

Six years ago, a man broke into my house in Nicaragua while I was sleeping and I woke up to feel his hand on me knee. I held my breath as I tried to convince myself that the presence I felt in the darkness wasn’t really there. There was a struggle, a hand over my face, and then he was gone. For months, the slightest sound at night would wake me up, and I found it hardest to sleep when I was home alone.

The worst of it though, was that I just knew deep down that somehow it was my fault. I’m a feminist, have never shied away from the term. I hated slut shaming long before culture gave me a term for the feeling.  I knew that victim blaming is repugnant, but I became my own persecutor.
Earlier that night, there was a fiesta, and my friend Norlan had walked me home, and I’d invited him inside for something to drink. We’d left the doors to my house open so no one would think anything was happening inside. I was trying to respect the cultural mores of Nicaragua, but maybe that had given someone the idea that I was easy anyway?   
I had found my clothes on the floor of my kitchen and shrugged, thinking they had fallen off the door to my outdoor shower. It didn’t even occurred to me that they had been knocked down by someone who had already tried once that evening to get inside my house but had been thwarted by the bar on the door. (When they’d returned, they’d brought a stick to lift the bar.) Maybe I could have been more vigilant. 
I always slept in the dark, but that night I’d left the light of my fan on. Maybe if he hadn’t been able to see me, he would have come in, stolen my wallet, and left. 
It was so hot that night that I was wearing a new nightgown I’d gotten in Masaya, an orange cotton so thin that it was translucent. Perhaps if I hadn’t been wearing something so revealing, he wouldn’t have been tempted.
I remember the hand on my face was soft, just a boy’s, and trying to justify why he would have felt like it was okay to do what he did. Surely I must have lured him in some way.  The list of things I could have done became a litany that I used to punish myself, but also to comfort myself. If I could figure out what I’d done, maybe next time I could do better. Next time I could protect myself better. It took years to convince myself that that voice was a lie, and even now when I’m down, that voice is there. Part of me will always believe that I could have done something to prevent what happened.

Last Saturday night I told the “hilarious” story of that one time I got roofied by sailors in New York City. It’s hilarious because I choose to tell it that way and my friends took care of me and I was safe when I woke up in a strange bathtub without my underwear. All’s well that ends well, right? I choose to tell it that way because it lets me distance myself from how it really makes me feel: vulnerable, scared, foolish, complicit.

I think the worst thing about rape culture isn’t that it makes it easier for men to assault women, although it does, but that it teaches women that it is our fault. That we deserve whatever happens to us. That we could have prevented it, and by not preventing it, we are responsible.  We have no one to blame but ourselves.  It tries to rob us of our ability to emotionally defend ourselves, to self-advocate.  To do so requires that we admit that something terrible has happened to us, but also to admit that we are human – that we make mistakes, that we trust people we should not, that we drink too much, that sometimes we want sex and sometimes we don’t. It is tempting to believe that this is always about admitting we are female, but that would not explain the same attitude being applied to other victims of sexual assault, and it surely is.  I think the real shame we are expected to feel is about admitting that we were vulnerable. That we could not control every aspect of a situation. It is the greatest shame in our society to be weak when someone else is strong. In the strategic game of “Please don’t rape me,” we picked the wrong move, gave someone else the upper hand. We lost and they won, fair and square.  Take your shame and go home. Do better next time.

There isn’t a single person I know who has survived a sexual assault (a staggering number) that didn’t blame themselves at least once.  We’ve learned our lessons well.

Recently, something really terrible happened to me. I refer to it as “something terrible” because I’m not sure there’s any version of it that could be called assault. It was consensual but dishonest, and that dishonesty came to light at the moment when I was most vulnerable in a truly awful way. The incident has left me shaken, distrustful of my own instincts, feeling utterly unloveable. After it happened, he cried about his inability to control his emotions, and I comforted him. In that moment, the cascade of horrible feelings I was experiencing seemed less important than this other human’s visible pain. With his tears dried and the blankets pulled between us, I asked him to leave, and he did. I went to sleep castigating myself for inviting that person into my life. I did this to myself.

I’m trying to talk myself out of that, but it really is hard. Because if you believe that you deserve it when someone sexually assaults you, it’s easy to believe that you deserve all the other things too.  That you deserve to have people lie to you. That you deserve to be treated badly. That you deserve whatever crap happens as a result of some other person just doing the best they think they can do. If you’re responsible for your own sexual assault, how can other people ever be responsible for anything?   

The same old narrative started up again, the one that says I didn’t protect myself enough, that I have to do better next time. Not knowing how to do better, there’s a kind of repugnance for the whole process, for the concepts of vulnerability and trust. For now, it’s a nice cocoon to hide out in, but it scares me that this might be a place I stay for a while. I’d like to think there are other things to be learned from this, but I can’t figure out right now what they might be. I need an alternative narrative, to find a voice that’s louder than the one society taught me. 


I think that’s part of why I’m telling the internet this, to say, whether I believe it all the time or not, that I don’t deserve this crap. That I’m not ashamed because I didn’t do anything wrong. That in those moments I was vulnerable, and at some point in the future, I will have to choose to be so again, and when that happens, I don’t want to be afraid of it because vulnerability and weakness are not always the same and those that make it so are the ones in the wrong, not me. It’s a start anyway.

Comments

Jessica said…
What would that nagging voice in your head say if I was the one involved in these situations? What if they happened to me and not to you? You would say amazingly kind and sensitive things and would never be so critical. I know because when you tell me about these things my first thought is never about "Denise the victim." I think "Denise is so strong," "Denise is a survivor," or even "Denise is so compassionate/selfless/kind" (about that last incident). I wish I could show you how to see you the way I do.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so