Skip to main content

Smile!

I'm getting braces. In three weeks. For non-cosmetic reasons.  For the past 20 years, I've been destroying my front teeth, slowly but surely wearing them down with every chomp and utterance. It's now time to fork over massive quantities of cash to get this fixed or else they are going to die and I will have 6 (6!) dead teeth in the front of my mouth.  Not good for anyone, but especially not for someone who works on speech for a living.

The problems:

  • I have a huge overbite! Duh. 
  • My front teeth actually point inward. I had no idea. 
  • Severe overcrowding on the bottom despite having 3 teeth removed when I was a kid. The only reason I don't have severe overcrowding on the top is bc I had 4 teeth removed, including both my canines.  I guess they tamed me early. 
  • Severe wear on my front teeth, uppers and lowers, thanks to the front teeth grinding together inappropriately during my bite. 
  • My snaggletooth.  Spencer and I will no longer match in this respect. 
  • My gums.  Apparently they are all messed up. When I smile there is a lot of top gum, and that's bc my teeth have continued to descend as I've worn them down and the gums come with. Gross, right?  And my crazy teeth on the bottom that are so low have almost no gum underneath so I might need a graft.  Who knew they grafted gums?

The plan:

  • Immediately (2 weeks from now) 
    • 11/6/2014 - Bite props to make space so that they can put the braces on my teeth at all.  Otherwise my overbite is too bad.  This will create an enormous space between my front teeth. 
    • 11/6/2014 - Build-ups to fill in that gap so I can do things like eat, which I enjoy greatly.  Even so, for a while my mouth will feel very odd indeed. 
    • 11/6/2014 - New impressions. My teeth will be different, so new impressions are required. These go to the ortho so they can build my trays of braces. 
  • Slightly less immediately (3 weeks from now)
    • Braces go on!
  • The long haul
    • For 2 years I will have braces with wire adjustments about every 6 weeks. Also rubber bands to fix the overbite. 
    • They may have to pull a tooth on the bottom if they can't move stuff around enough.  It will be one of my front teeth because they are tiny and that's where I need the space, so I might have a gap for a while.  Which is really great if you are a speech pathologist and people look at your mouth all the time. Really. Great. 
    • Periodontal surgery. Again, this is possible. My upper gums might retract along with my teeth, but maybe not. And it may not travel up with that lower tooth, so I might need a graft.  Again, who knew this was a thing?
  • Finale (~2 years from now)
    • Braces off!
    • Crowns/veneers for the front teeth since they're so worn down. 
    • Retainers, probably a bonded one on the bottom
My face is going to cost more than my car, but for the first time in my life I'll have straight teeth.  Weird. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

Christmas makes me angry.

This statement is sadly true. I wish it wasn't. I'm not sure what to do about it. My mom is gone, and that makes me furious. My family has little money and we're not really as close as many other families, and that makes me furious, too. And my dad is limited in a way that makes me feel lots of different things. He hoards things in his bedroom. My sister thinks it's because he has very little that he has control over, so he holds on to what he has.  This includes things it doesn't make sense to hoard, like shampoo and conditioner.  He won't let my sister take them to the bathroom when his are empty; he makes her buy more. On Thursday my sister went into his room and saw that he'd taken some Christmas cards from the large pile in the living room. They were lying on his bedside table, neatly stacked, each one signed with my dad's shaky left hand. Much the way swearing is a remaining reflex of speech, his signature, signed in his non-dominant hand, is a