Skip to main content

Ode to Seal Team

I'm in Love.

As in all romantic comedy story lines, I met my love while life was not going me well. In fact, it was kind of kicking me in the nuts. I have issues with depression, and my psychiatrist told me to work out five days a week. Know what sucks worse than being depressed? Working out at the gym five days a week by yourself. My boyfriend broke up with me on a sidewalk, and obliterated me from his life in an impressive 15 minute purge-a-thon of social media. Work was kicking my ass, and grad school applications were filling me with anxiety that no amount of fish oil or emotional eating could mitigate.*

I was down, feeling unsure of my ability to make change, ready to embark on a quest of some sort. Maybe I'd drop everything and go on an around the world tour getting to know myself. But alas, not enough money! Maybe I could have a summer fling who would teach me how to trust my inner voice, but the seasons speed by for no woman. And then, surprisingly, unexpectedly, serendipitously, I met Seal Team. ST for short because we like nicknames.

ST was on sale for Black Friday, and looked like it would be the perfect challenge for girl, nay, a woman, like me. I approached cautiously, committed to a date or two, and then anxiously waited. Our courtship was brief, a whirlwind. I was sending an email one day, and then two days later, signing papers. Our impending connection filled me with alternate bouts of anticipation and anxiety. Could this be the one? What if I hate it? I will probably hate it! What if I'm not good enough for ST? Also, I'd never dated a jock before, so I was a little hesitant about that.

I can now safely tell you that all my fears were for naught. Three days in, and I'm on cloud nine. Sure, my body is ached and bruised, but my confidence in myself is renewed. I feel alive and physical and I love waking up each day knowing that the first thing I do will be something I do just for me. Having felt for so long incapable, doing something today that I thought I couldn't do yesterday has changed the way I see other challenges. Whatever is happening today, I've got it because I also have ST. I did that. I DID THAT!

I'm sure as we continue to see each other, the newness will wear off, we will become familiar. However, I'm confident that I've found the one. This is a good thing I won't be letting go of any time soon.

*I had some good things going for me, like financial security and the best friends in the whole universe (seriously, you should be jealous), but for artistic license we're going to pretend that I was in some sort of horrid state of abject misery. Work with me, here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so