Skip to main content

Christmas makes me angry.

This statement is sadly true. I wish it wasn't. I'm not sure what to do about it. My mom is gone, and that makes me furious. My family has little money and we're not really as close as many other families, and that makes me furious, too. And my dad is limited in a way that makes me feel lots of different things.

He hoards things in his bedroom. My sister thinks it's because he has very little that he has control over, so he holds on to what he has.  This includes things it doesn't make sense to hoard, like shampoo and conditioner.  He won't let my sister take them to the bathroom when his are empty; he makes her buy more.

On Thursday my sister went into his room and saw that he'd taken some Christmas cards from the large pile in the living room. They were lying on his bedside table, neatly stacked, each one signed with my dad's shaky left hand. Much the way swearing is a remaining reflex of speech, his signature, signed in his non-dominant hand, is a vestige of his written skills, an anomaly. Beneath them she found some money and she realized he meant to put the money in the cards as Christmas gifts - we assumed member's of my dad's extended family, but couldn't be sure.  He had addressed the envelopes, but the result in each case was his own name, a skipping record repeating the last few words of a song you know by heart.

The next day he pulled my sister into his room and pantomimed the necessity for her to get change for the bills while she was in town. On Christmas Eve, he rolled his wheelchair into the living room, and I helped him put the cards in our stockings because it turned out that the cards were for us.  He was confused when I couldn't figure out which envelope went in whose stocking - to him he had labeled them quite clearly.

That night as we emptied our stockings, we opened his cards and each of us got $10 with the exception of Keegan, to whom he had slipped an extra $5.  He looked happy that we were happy, grateful for what he could do.

I do appreciate it.  That's what Christmas is supposed to be - each of us doing what we can for each other to try to express how much we love each other and appreciate the gift that is knowing the other person.  But it's a kind of bittersweet appreciation for my family.  What we can do for each other isn't much, and in many ways it's a reduced version of what we've been able to do for each other in the past.  Christmas feels horribly incomplete without my mom there, as though we're all still trying to figure out how to talk to each other without her acting as interpreter.  We limp along as best we can, our crutch the incredibly deep love we have for each other.

If we have to be dependent upon something to make our family gatherings possible, I'm glad it's love, as that seems to be the one emotion we have for each other that resists whatever tide of dysfunction is currently rising or ebbing.  This, oddly, might explain why my mother's absence is as surprising as ever - because our love for her is as present and strong as ever.  It's like a thick, heavy rope pulled taut between us and her.  The rope is still there, held by some unseen force where she used to be.  When we're all together, the tug of her feels the strongest and it's confusing that she isn't actually there, smiling as we open gifts, hugging us with her soft cheek pressing against ours, her baby powder smell filling our noses.  How could she not actually be there when her presence is felt so strongly?  Death, so fundamental to life, is horribly confusing.

When I started writing this, I wasn't sure why I was so angry.  Why anger of all emotions?  Sadness would seem to make more sense, or perhaps longing, or loss?  And what I come up with is anger - I think because my sadness tinges the happiness I feel when I'm at home, and I resent that. I want to enjoy what we have, not feel sad for what we don't have.

Comments

Jessica said…
Your writing is so expressive and powerful. One summer we both need to sneak away to some hippy dippy women's writing workshop somewhere. I actually get angry at Christmas too because there's just too much societal pressure to do specific things and feel a certain way. Why can't we just meet up somewhere new with the people we love to catch up and explore together (without the pressure of gifts and cooking and decorations)?
Denise said…
Thanks, Jess. I felt a little melodramatic writing that, but I was hunched over my laptop on my bedroom floor blubbering like a fool, so I decided to just go with it. I would love to hippy dippy writing workshop with you.

Also, I have married friends that do that. They never go visit anyone for Christmas. They just sneak away quietly for some time for just the two of them.
Jessica said…
It was emotional and very real but not melodramatic. Your wording and imagery - it always gets me. There's a wonderfully powerful book in you waiting to come out some day.

As for Xmas, I see Sean all the time so a couple's vacation isn't my goal. I'd love to see my other family (including you, of course) during the holidays. I just want to see you all in Montreal or Belize so we can all have fun (and not make our beds).

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S