Skip to main content

I have breaded. Part 1.

If I had known how satisfying this whole process would be, I'd have done it a lot sooner.  I remember liking baking bread in Nicaragua, but I haven't really done it since I've been back, so I've decided it's the fall of bread.  It will also have to be the fall of the gym, but that's okay, as I've discovered that doing things with my hands and body is about the best thing for my overactive mind.

I used this recipe: Almost-Famous Rosemary Bread, because I love rosemary bread, no special cookware was required, and the "makes 4 small loaves" meant it would be easy to give some away.

The ingredients:

Your first step is to let the yeast get started doing its thing.  Yeast is, well, amazing.  You give it some sugar, a little warm water and it starts respiring and the next thing you know you have CO2 foam and rising bread.  I had a conversation with someone yesterday and it was apparent they'd never seen yeast.  This is what yeast looks like:

You add water and sugar and it looks gross:

In about 5 minutes, if your yeast is good, i.e. not dead, it will get all frothy:

This yeast magic is explained in my favorite yeast video ever. There's a British accent, microscope shots, beer talk, and chemical formulas.  Go watch it.  Trust me, you'll like it. 

Once your yeast is going, you can add the rest of the ingredients.  This is fairly straightforward, but a word about flour.  A lot of bread recipes (baking recipes in general actually) will provide measurements by weight because dry ingredients tend to pack down and then it's easy to measure by volume correctly but still end up with amounts that are wrong.  If your recipe calls for measuring ingredients by volume, you should sift your flour because otherwise you scoop packed flour and there are likely lumps and you end up with more flour than you should.  For example, here's my flour.  See the packing.  Yeah, you want to avoid that.

I don't have a sifter, so I used a whisk instead.  I scooped the required 2 1/2 cups flour into another large bowl, and whisked it.  Whiskery:

The flour should look fluffy.  Then scoop that, leveling the top of each scoop with the back of a knife.  I ended up with a significant amount of extra flour that I put back in my flour canister.

Once all your ingredients are snugly in a bowl together, stir them until a loose dough forms.  Mine was quite sticky at this point, but I knew a lot more flour would get incorporated during the kneading process so I didn't worry about it too much.

Then you turn that out onto a countertop that you've dusted with flour.  Keep kneading until it's elastic.  It should fight back a little.  As I said, it was sticky at first.  Just keep dusting it lightly with flour, and by it I mean the counter, the bread, and your hands.  I didn't want to get bits of bread goo in my flour canister, so I grabbed a big handful of flour, put it in the dough bowl, and kept pulling from that.  I actually thought this dough came together really quickly.  There's not a lot of water in this dough (a cup total), and very little sugar.  The stuff we made in Nicaragua was a much more processed, soft crusted kind of bread and kneading it took for.ev.er.  This only took about the 10 minutes promised in the recipe.

Tuck in all the edges so you have a nice little ball, and place it in a large oiled bowl, and wait for it to rise the first time.

Celebrate your yeast feast by doing the dishes or some laundry or something.  Might I recommend a mimosa?  Me, I'm blogging about baking bread.  Stay tuned for Part 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so