Skip to main content

Nawlins: Part 1

After suffering the agony of sitting next to a woman on a plane who popped her gum for the two and a half hours from Charlotte to New Orleans, I made it to the Big Easy.  My cab driver needed the assistance of my GPS to get us to Jessica's house, but whatevs.  This city is a maze, and I made it in one piece, so cheers to that!

Yesterday Jess and I hung out at the house in the morning before getting shrimp po boys from the equivalent of the local bodega/deli.  We ate these while strolling through her neighborhood, no mean feat let me tell you.  I dropped a shrimp at one point and felt something much like self-loathing.  

Her cubicle at the law library has walls that a very tall person could reach over, but made of something designed to look like very lawyerly dark cherry wood.  The door locks and the room is larger than my office.  I now have a theory about how people inhabit a space because while she has made minimal effort to personalize the room, it still feels a lot like her office in NY.  

We continued trekking onward toward Audobon Park where we did some high quality geocaching.  Don't laugh, it's awesome.  We saw about a thousand turtles, which we fed (as well as a nesting duck).  Jessica also witnessed some duck rape, although I was lucky enough to miss that, as I was rummaging through some bushes in search of a geocache.  We then took a shortcut across the golf course, which is supposedly allowed as long as you stay on the path and don't get in the way of the golf carts.  It was a lovely long walk, and I was infinitely impressed with Audobon Park.  It's quite enormous and well-maintained.  The pedestrian loop around the park has walking, running, and biking "lanes" and there are emergency call boxes and dog poop bag dispensers scattered around.  There are also lots of benches and gazebos should you just want to sit around in the shade or sun or any combination thereof.  

Then, pupusas for dinner (which were stupid good), and a trip to 12 Bar, "New Orleans' comedy living room."  This was the most awkward comedy watching experience of my life.  The back of the bar really is like a living room, with couches and chairs arranged around a microphone, so the comedians can look you in the eye.  When they first started the only 3 people there who weren't performers or bartenders were Jessica, Sean, and me.  Luckily my friend Alex (who was randomly stuck here to a flight snafu) and eventually some other couples showed up, but at first I felt that skin crawling sensation that makes me leave the room when I watch It's Always Sunny.

No real take-homes from all this, I just want to remember what an awesome low-key day it was and how much I love New Orleans.  This would be a lovely place to live.  

For photographic evidence, check out the FB album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so