Skip to main content

Addendum.

I'm still thinking, but some truth while it's on my mind.  Twice this weekend people were kind of shitty to me, and twice this weekend, I didn't do anything to deserve it.  I would say the opposite actually, which is why this has the potential to sting and destroy what has otherwise been a terrific couple days.  When you treat people well, you expect to be treated well.  There's a tendency to self-blame.

But here's the thing.  The single best thing you can do for yourself is remember that bad behavior is the responsibility of the person who did it.  It's not my fault these people did what they did, it's theirs.  Now if I let them do it again, then I get to blame me.  But not until then.

Which leads to the other reason you might self-blame for someone else being a jerk.  There's this sense that people need to be on their guard and protect themselves and if someone hurts you, it's because you made this mistake in trusting them not to.  I think on some level that's true.  That's why you don't get into the car with strangers - it's unlikely they'd kill you, but the consequence if they do is pretty high.  Probably you shouldn't fall in love with a stranger for the same reason.  I've had some broken hearts that have felt like death.  But are the risks of extending friendship as high?  I hope not.

I know someone who is a Deny, Allow kind of person, who is kind of mean to everyone, until they decide for some reason that you're all right.  I think most people are more Allow, Deny.  You let people in somewhat, you extend the metaphorical hand of friendship, and when that person fucks it up in some way, you take that hand back before they can slap it again.  I've never been good at that.  I always feel bad, like I don't deserve to take my hand back, so it just keeps getting pummeled while I smile at the person doing the pummeling.

So I guess what I have figured out, but only really had cause to think about in a clear way today, was that I choose to be Allow, Deny, and there's inherent risk there, but if you remember it's a risk and adjust your behavior accordingly, the world has a lot of potential for all kinds of connections.  If you remember that you're not responsible for other peoples' behavior, the risk is minimized even more.  You just take it for what it is and move forward, smarter about how to deal with that particular person.

All I can think about with this is the GRE, oddly enough.  The first questions on the GRE count the most.  They give you a middle of the road question, and if you get it wrong, they bracket you and ask you a question in the lower range.  Each question or couple of questions is more and more specifically targeted until they can pinpoint your final score.  Plus: scores are supposedly more specific and a better indicator of skill.  Minus: the first questions when you're nervous count more.  Maybe making human connections is more like that than we realize.  The first couple interactions matter a lot - they bracket you.  Then with each interaction, you learn more about where that friendship leads.  But just because you get some questions wrong, that doesn't mean the test is over, but unless you want to keep slipping, you gotta get the next ones right.

Comments

Briana said…
Quite an insightful metaphor....I'm going to remember that.
Briana said…
Quite an insightful metaphor....I'm going to remember that....

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S