Skip to main content

Some moping and the 2011 that already exists in my mind.

I used to cry a lot, like a really really lot.  For large periods of my life, I cried at least once a day.  I'm not going to get into specifics about what times of my life were the "worst" since what was going on in my life wasn't responsible for the tears.  It was like I was a cup that was full of water and any little thing would just make me overflow, and the only way I knew to deal with things was to cry.  Difficult conversations with people would start the waterworks, and I'd keep talking, since I thought that was just my reaction to any kind of emotional stress and just try to convince whoever I was talking to that that particular conversation wasn't responsible.  And I was right.  I wasn't crying about that little conversation, I was crying about all of it.  It took a divorce (accepting that I could be imperfect and still loved), Nicaragua (learning that I could make things happen when I really wanted), and my mom's death (finally dealing with many, many things) to stop the tears in a mostly permanent way.  I like my life, and I have enough emotional reserves that when something stressful happens, my tea cup is nowhere near to overflowing.

I still cry, obviously, when things are really terrible.  I also cry at the holidays.  I cry because my dad is unhappy.  I cry because my sister is unhappy and spreads that around to everyone else.  I cry because I miss my mom, although she was always unhappy, too.  I cry because sometimes the world is an awful, ugly place and some people are luckier than others, and I somehow manage to be one of the lucky ones and one of the unlucky ones at the same time, and all the things I'm unlucky about I can't control and that makes me feel helpless and angry.  I cry because you can't control other people and that makes me angry because you see other people making mistakes and there's nothing you can do about it.  This picking your battles bullshit is just that sometimes, bullshit.  And hiding your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist isn't an option because that would make you a bad aunt and a bad sister and a bad daughter and I don't want to be a bad anything.  Sometimes I hate everything, and there's nothing to do but cry about it.

Now, 2011.  I can't do anything about this crap, but there are many things I do have control over.  I don't like resolutions, but I like to give years a title and then try to live up to them.  I did okay with this past year, and now I have a title for 2011.  2011: Year in Which I Do Not Discuss My Love Life.  It might sound stupid, but I think if people talk about things, it allows them to fixate on those topics.  I don't want to think about this anymore. I don't want to fixate on it. I want to think about other stuff, like climbing mountains, knitting my first sweater, finally learning to play the guitar, publishing my first 1st-author paper, and finding a place in Charlottesville to go salsa dancing.

So today sucks, I'mma cry about it, and then I'm going to make some additional awesome positive changes.

Comments

Briana said…
A piece of Isis blog that I think was speaking directly to all of us in the REESE group (except David) and to which I hope you paid attention: "That all said, I think there are also things that everyone can work on as a matter of professional development. A couple of years ago I made a resolution to break myself of the habit of saying, "I don't know if this is right, but..." and "Well, don't you think that....". Every time I prefaced something with one of those qualifiers, I later realized that I was fairly confident in my correctness. I knew the paper in which the work was reported. I knew the authors who conducted the experiments. I often knew more details about the experiments than the people I was talking to. But, every time I began a sentence with one of those qualifiers, I established myself in a position subordinate to those I was speaking to. It's alright to admit that you are wrong, and if you genuinely are less knowledgeable it is alright to ask for advice. But I needed to stop fearing that I would be wrong and have confidence in what I knew. That has made an enormous difference in how people regard me. I think people see me more as an "expert" than they did before." remind me of this in the future too, but for now, it is for you to read and digest.

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S