Skip to main content

Why I Miss Teaching

I had a great teaching day yesterday. One of those days when I actually miss being a high school teacher. I have good teaching days often, but they have to be pretty damn good to make teaching high school seem all rosy again. A little background is required.
I loved some things about teaching high school. My interactions with the students were frustrating every day because you always want to do more - you want to somehow convince each one of them (even the ones you don't like b/c sometimes that happens) that you care about what happens to them and that you really do have their best interests at heart. Some days I felt like I really made that connection with students and those days were the best.
And the surprising thing to me was what made me feel that way, that I had connected. It could be a student with a problem who felt comfortable enough to confide in me. This made me feel like I won the freakin' Olympics, but it's not something that happened every day. Sometimes it was a student who seemed to be having a hard time, and it turns out that they just needed a little extra help or attention. Sometimes it was a feat of strategy, when I finally figured out how to solve a difficult disciplinary problem. All of those things made me feel connected, tuned it, like I was learning them a little bit better.
There were, of course, all the challenges you expect as a teacher. Students who I saw drowning, but who wouldn't reach out a hand for help. Students who I couldn't figure out, or seem to get to know no matter how hard I tried. And I'm not sure if this is just me, or is more broadly indicative of people who gravitate toward teaching, but I always had a tendency to blame myself. It was very difficult for me to step back and realize that these kids had to make their own mistakes and choices. I was never a coddler - my students probably thought I was pretty damn strict actually, but having high standards isn't mutually exclusive with being willing to bend over backwards to help students reach those standards.
At some point it's like each student becomes your child, and you want to give them all the meager wisdom you've accumulated and hope they do okay. It's hard to care about that many people that way and not go home exhausted, but on those days when it went well, I was elated. I would clean up my classroom at the end of the day, and think, "Ashley really learned that today", "Matt didn't get in trouble today", "I never would have expected Molly to come see me about her quiz grade" and it felt so good, so exhilarating. It hooks you, it really does.
Yesterday was one of those days that broad all that happiness back. The students were engaged, the activity was interesting, the content was personally relevant. It was the triumvirate!! On those days, I have to remind myself why teaching high school wasn't for me.
I'll go into that tomorrow, as this post is growing far too large for one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S