Skip to main content

What do you do about this?

Money complicates everything, even death. Clearly not for the departed, but for the ones left behind. Most of you know that my mom died in November, and that is obviously hard, and the last thing we want to think about is money. The realities of life don't allow for that, and it's a mixed bag - fighting with insurance companies about both health and life insurance benefits, cutting through the red tape of military and social security benefits, trying to make sense of an unexpected windfall, and gracefully accepting the generosity of others. The first two are pretty familiar hassles, and I won't go into them, but the second two are proving more difficult to deal with emotionally - I think just because they weren't anticipated. Specifically the last one has left me making some tough decisions.

My family isn't in a good financial situation, and people know that having a loved one in the hospital and then ill for a long time is expensive, not to mention the funeral expenses. Friends and family have responded with unexpected generosity. It's appreciated, but it's hard to know how to feel about it. I recently opened a card that some of my friends put together and I was literally speechless. I can think of about 15 different uses for the money that was in that card, but it's hard not to feel guilty about getting money upon the death of a loved one.

You think Well, I didn't ask for it, but you know you didn't do anything to deserve this money. Everybody's mom dies, so why did people give me this? Is it because she was so young, because I'm young to lose my mom, so people think this situation is especially hard? You need it, but you don't deserve it, and it feels wrong to get it because of an event that you would give anything in the world to change. Have I said things that led people to believe that our financial problems are worse than they are? I don't presume to know other people's situations, but I know that none of the people whose names are on that card have money to throw around. And I know that some of our financial hardship is due to my mom's situation, but some of it is due to bad decisions that had nothing to do with her death.

What do you do with it? How do you learn to say thank you without feeling like you're taking advantage of something tragic? How do you use the money so that you don't feel like people's generosity was misplaced?

I think I've decided to hold onto it, to put it aside until some use becomes obvious - some expense that my family hasn't anticipated or some opportunity my mother would have encouraged me to take advantage of.

And to anyone who was part of the card effort, or wrote me a note, or gave me a hug, or anything else that's helped me get by so far - thank you. I miss her every single day, so I'm sure I'll need a lot more support, but the help people have given us so far is the only reason we've made it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so