Skip to main content

The US Is Weird

So Briana said I might have something interesting to offer - my view of the US after 7 months in Nicaragua. I honestly can't imagine how coming back would be after two years. Here's some of the weirdness I have noticed.

1. Grocery stores are large terrifying places. I know that I used to go to La Union every now and then, but in the US, the sheer variety of things is overwhelming. There's 600 kinds of everything, all in full fat, low fat, non-fat and with infinite tiny flavor alterations. Would you like black bean dip, chipotle black bean dip, or lime chipotle black bean dip? I don't know, where are the beans, I'll make my own!! My old sensation of being paralyzed in the grocery store is back, but it's a million times worse now.

2. I'm still dreaming in Spanish. I actually kind of like that since I'm not practicing Spanish much during my waking hours. However, this can lead to serious cognitive dissonance when suddenly awakened from Spanish world into English world. An example: Last Friday I was riding in the passenger seat of my sister's car at night. I woke up, and English radio was playing, it was too dark to see where I was, and the car was moving far too smoothly to be Nicaragua. For a split second, I was terrified because I had no idea where I was. Luckily that feeling has passed, and not had occasion to return.

3. I'm glad I came home, but I've been sort of feeling like I'm not really here, or at least not really home. I think most people think 7 months isn't that long, and really it's not. But I went there thinking 2 years, and I tried to make it my home. So I think I've been feeling like I'm on vacation here, like any minute I'm going to get on a plane and go back to Nicaragua. While I am thankful for the generosity of Marcos and Michelle, staying in someone's guestroom has also contributed to that temporary nomad feeling. Today I felt at home here for the first time. My nephew and I went for a long walk, his Big Wheels ran out of juice, and we had to tow it home. After that we played T-ball. While it might not seem clear what about that made me feel at home, it was really a combination of all of it. While we were walking, I taught Keegan how to suck the nectar out of honeysuckle flowers. We looked at lizards and butterflies, the air smelled like Southern pine forest and flowers, and the light had that radioactive white brightness that it has here all summer. It both felt like home here, and like Nicaragua. It seems like my two selves might be finding a way to mesh after all.

P.S. I also figured out how to connect the Big Wheels to the bag of the truck to tow it home with a tow chain, a bungee chord, and 2 U-bolts. Pretty good, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so