Skip to main content

Semana Santa = Religion and a Big Beach Party

Happy Easter!!

Can I just reiterate how much I love my site sometimes? Semana Santa is the week leading up to Easter here, and it’s a big holiday. There’s no school all week long (so we work on side projects of course), no buses on Thursday or Friday, and many fiestas. It’s also a tradition all over Nicaragua to go to the beach for Semana Santa, and the island is no exception. It’s interesting because if you go to the beach here normally, there’s almost no one there – just people washing clothes or taking a bath, but this week, people were swimming, kayaking, chicken-fighting (but they do it standing up on each other’s shoulders), or just hanging out.
















One family also set up a fritanga (place to buy fried foods) on the beach. They also had ripe, delicious mangoes. One of my friends gave me one, which I promptly chowed down on. Two hours later I learned yet another valuable lesson in humility when another of my friends informed me that I had orange mango stuff all around my mouth. I had talked to like a million people, and no one told me. Ah well. Here’s the fritanga lady.

















One of the brother’s from my MĂ©rida host family owns 1/3 of a restaurant, bar, kayak rental, soon-to-be hospedaje on the MĂ©rida beach, and as part of getting their business up and running, they have decided to embrace being an active part of the community. Therefore, this year there were also soccer balls and a volleyball net provided by them. I love this soccer picture because check out the kid on the post.
















There were people at the beach pretty much the whole week, but the biggest days were Thursday through Saturday. Friday and Saturday, I participated in a Plan Playa brigade, which basically meant I received a cool T-shirt and picked up garbage all day. We were also there in case anyone got hurt, but we only had one tourist with a not-so-terrible motorcycle burn on his calf. It was a great opportunity to meet people, and hung out on the beach all day, in the shade of course. Here’s two members of the brigade, searching the beach for trash.
















This is Karen, the only other female in my brigada. We were very happy to have each other!

















After the beach day yesterday, there was a folkloric theater, dancing, music, and fiesta. I missed a good bit of the cultural stuff because after being on the beach all day, my head hurt quite a bit and I needed to go home and rest for a while. Hence, no pictures.

Then today, my friend Edubigas invited me to her church’s celebration on the beach. They had lunch and people swam, played soccer, and socialized. I went and played chasing, splashing water games with all these little kids. I still find it fascinating how so much of life is different here, but the role of the church is very similar to its role at home. Being there today, listening to Spanish gospel music blaring from enormous speakers, eating platano, and hearing all these families chattering around me while understanding very little of it, it still managed to feel so much like home that it hurt.

I also saw this, which I thought was funny.

















And, completely unrelated, it occurred to me that there might be people out there like me who don’t know what bananas look like while they’re still on the tree. I had never seen such a thing before, so this was pretty interesting for me. Here they are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S