Skip to main content

Metropolitano Hospital - 4 stars

I would have given it 5, except for that pesky abdominal pain. I have just been released from my first Nicaraguan hospital stay, and I have to say, while I could have done without being in the hospital entirely, that was by far the nicest hospital stay I could have hoped for.

On Thursday night, my agonizing, gut-stabbing, double-over abdominal pain returned, and after keeping me awake all night, reached a shivering, sweating peak Friday morning. Normally, I dislike hospitals (who likes hospitals?), but by this time, my inner monologue was begging for an IV drip. My outer monologue was busy remembering to breathe. I thought I would get a quick dose of drugs, and be returned to home sweet home in Masatepe, but I was mistaken. Three days and three nights later, I finally got out. Turns out I had some sort of horrific bacterial infection, probably salmonella, that had my intestines all inflamed and icky. Yes, that's a technical term. I am much better now, thanks to feats of modern medicine, although I am still plagued by bouts of nausea.

Now, back to my hospital review. I have seen the way my dad has been treated in hospitals over the past few years, and sometimes it's been better than others. However, I have never seen a hospital treat patients so nicely. I saw my doctor at least twice a day, despite the fact that my treatment regiment didn't really change at all the whole time I was there. They asked me repeatedly what I wanted to eat, and when I couldn't stomach the smell of my delicious looking chicken soup, the nurse hunted down a menu for me to help me order something without a vomit-inducing smell. My room was super nice, the nurses were always outside my door, and security man took me downstairs in the elevator and walked me to the pharmacy when I needed to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste (note to self, no hospital stay is a short hospital stay - take toothbrush). This was also not just because I am a gringo. All the hospital patients were getting the same treatment. I can't say anything about the demographic of the Nicaraguan population who end up in the hospital to begin with, but once you're in, the care is wonderful.

On a completely unrelated note, I am exceedingly proud of myself because we are leaving our training towns for good tomorrow. Everyone is supposed to pack up their stuff and have it ready to be picked up in the morning. Obviously, my stuff wasn't packed up and ready to go because I was in the hospital. Douglas took me to my house today, and I packed everything I OWN in LESS THAN ONE HOUR. Even if I accomplish nothing else in two years, that was quite a feat. I was bummed that I didn't really get to say goodbye to my training family though. They were awesome, and I just had to kind of run out on them. I am going back to visit them for Christmas though, so I will get to do a round two of goodbyes then.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I guess if I had checked the blog earlier I could have saved myself some clock watching. Oh well it was wonderful to hear your voice and hear the old you there instead of the go away I want to just die voice. One thing has come out of all this: I am less afraid for you because I know you have a head on your shoulder to seek help and the help is there for you. I am so proud of you for handeling this with the courage I knew you had. Love you! Mom
Anonymous said…
Ugh. Relief. I am so glad you are better and have a phone charger again. Now buy yourself some phone cards.

T
Lottie's log said…
Hey i`m sorry you wer in the hosbital, but well stuff is stuff. by love, Lottie

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so