Skip to main content

the beautiful sights of Masatepe

9-26-07

Today’s very exciting topic is the plants of Nicaragua. In the US, I had a Guide to the Flora of South Carolina, and I wish I had a similar book about Nicaragua. Especially now because it’s the rainy season, and everything is in full bloom. Right now, it rains here every day. Some days it is a constant downpour, other days it’s sunny for a long time and then the whole sky falls down in about fifteen minutes. Either way, we are guaranteed rain, and my clothes are guaranteed to take forever to dry. Yesterday, I washed a lot of my laundry and got very lucky with some serious sun during the earlier part of the day, so my clothes dried in record time. While this may seem like a minor inconvenience, clothes that take 4-plus days to dry (no exaggeration) come out smelling much worse than they did before they were washed. Here are my clothes hanging in our garden today. We hang clothes there when it’s sunny.



















This is our lavandero, which is where the laundry is done. My family has a washing machine, which is very rare here. The sinks to the left of the washing machine are for washing clothes by hand. The two side sinks have bottoms that are concrete washboards. Yesterday when I did my laundry, I did it here, with my bare hands. It was sort of amazing, but I’m pretty sure that’s only because it was the first time. The central sink is full of water because there’s no water between 7:15 and 2:30. Therefore we fill all available containers before 7:15 and use the water for flushing the toilet or washing dishes or laundry.

Now, I said this post was about flowers, and it will be. Right now. Because it is the rainy season, stuff’s in bloom. Here are a couple of my favorites, with more available at Picasa. All of these are in my house somewhere, on my street, or on the next street over. And yes, I looked like an idiot taking pictures of the flowers. One of my neighbors came home for lunch and had a good laugh at my expense. I take it in stride.



















Finally, Friday we find out where we are going for our volunteer visit. The volunteer visit is our chance to see what volunteers lives are actually like. For 4 days, we travel somewhere in Nicaragua to a volunteer’s site and shadow them. We get to ask them a million questions, and evaluate the environment to try to think about what we might prefer in a site for ourselves. Then, two weeks from now, we have the site fair, when we learn about the sites that are available. Below is a map of Nicaragua.

All we know right now is that we can be placed in Chinandega, Leon, Matagalpa, Boaco, or Chontales. Chinandega is HOT but is on the beach. Leon is not quite as HOT, but is a little farther from the beach. Matagalpa is mountains, and Chontales is cowboy country. I think Boaco is something in the middle, but is generally more campo from what I understand. There is also one site in the department of Rivas, which I think would also be pretty amazing. Today we met a volunteer who actually lives on the Isla de Ometepe. During the site fair, we also find out the sizes of the towns, and more about what the work there would actually entail.


P.S. Andrew, I thought long and hard before publishing that comment, mister. Also, Briana, it´s just that we need more trees. Also, I live in a town that makes furniture, so they´ve cut down any trees that have furniture value. As of right now, it´s raining so much that our greatest concern is that the seeds will drown before they have a chance to germinate We even have them covered with big banana leaves, and they are still getting soaked.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh I think the flowers are a real treat! Poo on the neighbor for laughing at you!
I do hope your trees fair as well as all those flowers. Have you thought about introducing the seed in the cup, under shelter of the porch roof. Then once they sprout you could put them in the trench.
I'm so proud of all you have accomplished all ready and just know you will do great with what comes next.
Love from the gang!
Anonymous said…
Flower number 2 looks like hibiscus to me. Those flowers make yummy iguana food.
Briana said…
Denise,

The first flower looks like a Mimosa and the second a Hibiscus, but I'm sure you either already knew the genera, or I'm dead wrong - please do tell us when you figure out what they are.

Our dryer died this weekend, so our backyard looks a lot like yours, except that we're in a serious drought and the dripping clothes are the largest source of water out there.

The site visits sound really incredible, can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get back! Which one involved riding the horse to work?

love and hugs (LOVING the blog! Please keep it up!),
Briana

Popular posts from this blog

Alie & Georgia are lushes.

Last night I hosted an Alie & Georgia cocktail birthday party. We went from 8 to 2 and tried 8 different cocktails. There was also ice cream cake and a hookah bc, well, I throw good parties, and Jeremy deserves nothing less. There would have been a fire pit, but something, something sleet. The fact that we only got to try 8 means there can be more Alie & Georgia parties in future bc there are so many left!  I would have included more pictures, but we were, uh, too distracted to take them.  And now, a review: Drunken Donuts Our first cocktail of the evening, I decided to serve these as little shots with a Spudnut garnish bc they are 2 parts alcohol to 1 part coffee. They contain staggering quantities of espresso vodka, coffee liqueur, and chocolate liqueur. A shot was about as much as you need, despite the recommended serving of a mug! of the stuff. This was our first hint that Alie & Georgia must be lushes with liver related super powers.  On a side note, these were

2011 Reading Challenges

On the first day of this new year, I am pulling together the reading challenges in which I want to participate.  There are so many that sound interesting that I'm not doing, particularly a bunch of them that are regional authors, which I'm trying to cover with my Global Reading Challenge.  I've chosen a bunch of them, but the problem won't be reading quantity, but more like reading strategy.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and most of these challenges allow crossovers, so I see no problems reading enough books, merely reading the right books and then, perhaps more challenging, writing about them, which some challenges require, and some only suggest.  Either way, it's a neat way to prioritize reading for the coming year. The Challenges in Which I Shall Participate Southern Literature Challenge - I've never read enough Southern Lit, and while some of the newer stuff is truly awful, I'd like to explore some older books. It's any book set in the South by a S

The Land of Lost Things

I met my new therapist last week.  I test drove a few, and she was the one that stuck.  She seems like she's not going to let me get by with any bullshit, and she said a couple of things that zinged me in our very first meeting.  That was unexpected, delightful, and now, with time to think about it, terrifying. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, so much careful consideration of my life and where I am - you'd think I'd be finding myself, but instead I feel so completely lost.  A few reasons: 1. I sabotage relationships in a really predictable way.  I had always thought of this behavior in one way, but with one sentence, this woman last week made me question everything I thought about that.  It's good to question it; it's what I wanted, but to be confronted so quickly by something that I had never considered is frightening.  I've spent so much time trying to figure this stuff out, and it turns out that I've been so completely wrong about so